TOPIC:

A Challenging Beginning?... 12 years 9 months ago #463

• Leslie
  • Leslie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Hi All,

Well, I did a very dumb thing...I bought my first Bonsai tree *before* I did any research...:oops: ...sigh... I went to a local nursery to buy plants for a couple of other projects and discovered they had two Bonsai trees left for sale so I bought one. I asked two sales clerks if this tree was okay for indoor growing and they assured me it was. After bringing my little *prize* home I began to research, found this forum and was so disappointed and frustrated to discover that my new little *Juniper* Bonsai is not suitable for indoors. :ohmy: :(

I called the nursery today and spoke to one of the clerks (the owner was not available), I told her my predicament and that I would have to return it and get my money back. She told me that the information I got re: Junipers being an outdoor plant only...was simply not true (she was quite defensive about it). She said that her sister has had a Juniper Bonsai indoors for a year and a half and it is growing like crazy and doing really well. She also told me that *these* Junipers are specially designed for indoor use. Huh??? :angry: Anyway, she took my nane and phone number and says she will have the owner call me when he is in.

So what do I do now? Do I keep it and try it indoors or do I take it back and insist on my money back? Has anyone here had any success with growing a Juniper Bonsai indoors? Here is a few photos of my new little baby. She stands 8" tall at the bend in the trunk from the bottom of the dish.

Notice in photo #4, there is even a new little shoot growing at the base of the trunk.:) ...sooo cute. Thanks for listening and I sure would appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Leslie

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The topic has been locked.

Re: A Challenging Beginning?... 12 years 9 months ago #467

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
hm.. It seems like there are juniperus species that would do well indoors; Naturally, plants prefer to grow outdoors, only species that cannot survive our climate (from tropics) I would place indoors.

See also: theindoorbonsaitree.com/tag/juniperus-chinensis/

Re: A Challenging Beginning?... 12 years 9 months ago #469

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for your post, Leatherback. Would you mind checking the link you sent? It only takes me to a blank page with the title "502 Bad Gateway (nginx)" and I can go no further with it. Thanks

Leslie

Re: A Challenging Beginning?... 12 years 9 months ago #481

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Oh! I tried that link again and it works!!! :cheer: Thanks so much for sharing, leatherback! Wonderful!

Leslie :lol:

Thanks for your post, Leatherback. Would you mind checking the link you sent? It only takes me to a blank page with the title "502 Bad Gateway (nginx)" and I can go no further with it. Thanks

Leslie

Re: A Challenging Beginning?... 12 years 9 months ago #482

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
howdy leslie,

yes it is true that juniperus chinensis can be grown indoors but that is not the speices that you have.you have what i call a garden juniper(not sure the species name)i have a big one growing in my garden which i am planning to pot soon.anyway your juni will have to go through a winter dormancy.I and 1000's of bonsia newbies have killed these poor guys finding this out the hard way.
your tree looks healthy by the new growth..the slightly brighter green on the branch tips...so you have a good looking start .you will need to find a dark cool place to "let it sleep" for a few months for winter.
by the way if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for it?

Re: A Challenging Beginning?... 12 years 9 months ago #502

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi manofthetrees,

Thank you so much for your reply and input. I am really quite confused now. lol If you have time, please check out the link posted above by *leatherback* on identification of the *Juniperus Chinensis*. My little tree looks just like the young branch on the left in the photo. The branch on the right is how it changes form as the tree matures. Apparently there are several sub-species within the *juniperus chinensis* family. I have sent an email to the administration of the website who (thankfully) welcome questions and concerns, etc. and I've included the botanical name of my tree *Procumben "Nana"* asking if it is of the same family and can it successfully be grown indoors. I have also contacted the company here in Canada where my little Juniper Bonsai was conceived.

...sigh...hopefully I will soon receive a confirmation once and for all on the proper placement of this little Bonsai. Oh! I almost forgot...I paid $24.99 plus the 13% taxes in CND dollars.

Leslie

Re: A Challenging Beginning?... 12 years 9 months ago #509

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Junipers grow outdoors they are outdoor trees. Look at where the big trees stand in nature. They stand outdoors. Only indoor trees are from tropical climates but trees like junipers are not tropical so don't let them stand inside anymore!

Youri

Re: A Challenging Beginning?... 12 years 9 months ago #524

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Okay, here is the latest scoop on my Bonsai Juniper Procumbens "Nana" otherwise known in English as the Dwarf Japanese Garden Juniper...I found the latter on the site today.

I received a phone call today from the owner of the garden centre where I bought the tree...this is four days after I called and left my name, number and issue with an empolyee of the store. The owner has informed me that the tree has been "treated" to make it "suitable" for indoor use.

I searched but couldn't find where I recently read something about trees that have been "treated" as such however, I believe I remember it saying that the "treatment" is only temporary. I'm so disappointed.

The store owner says there is no problem with my returning the tree and getting my money back. I have decided to return it :( . It makes me sad to think this beautiful little Bonsai has been "treated"...no doubt chemically. I have learned a hard lesson and will now take my time to find a small, tropical or sub-tropical tree suitable for Bonsai.

This has been difficult...I've got quite attached to this little tree. I very much appreciate everyone's advice and support however, and any suggestions you may have on plants for an inexperienced Bonsai enthusiast is most welcome.

Leslie

Re: A Challenging Beginning?... 12 years 9 months ago #525

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
P.S.~ the tree must be for indoor use. Hmmmmm...I do have a young Jade plant that might work??? What do you think? Thanks! L

Re: A Challenging Beginning?... 12 years 9 months ago #529

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Jades are for indoors, but also Ficus, Carmona, Sagaretia etc. are all tropical trees for indoor. ;) Ficus is a very easy one to care for.
  • Page: