Bonsai forum

Fuchsia Bonsai

• minifuchsia
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Fuchsia Bonsai was created by minifuchsia

Posted 10 years 3 weeks ago #10672
I am new to fuchsia bonsai. I grow fuchsias now, and would like to grow a bonsai.

Question is should I follow the care calendar for a fuchsia or for the bonsai or combine the care for both into a monthly calendar that I can utilize throughout the year?

I have several fuchsia to choose from, and know that this will take some time to complete. I specifically picked out fuchsia that have a rather larger, woody trunk that looked nice to the eye. Others I know I will need to take cuttings and cultivate.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have read that a fuchsia bonsai takes year round care, which I don't mind and had anticipated. Is there a thread that can be more specific?

Thank you in advance. Look forward to any information.
by minifuchsia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Fuchsia Bonsai

Posted 10 years 3 weeks ago #10674
What country are you in? If your fuchsias drop leaves in winter then you need a greenhouse with heat to keep them growing in winter. You must use one fo the Encliandra species or hybrids that have tiny leaves and flowers. They are the only ones, the rest are a waste of time.
You will struggle t keep them indoors (been there done that) The care calender is the same either way, It will take several years to get any style. It is better to start from cuttings unless you have one which you can prune back and grow again.
by m5eaygeoff

• minifuchsia
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by minifuchsia on topic Fuchsia Bonsai

Posted 10 years 3 weeks ago #10675
I am in the United State...Washington State.

I do have a greenhouse. Thank you so much for the information.
by minifuchsia