Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Newbie from Wisconsin 9 years 10 months ago #11065

• Wisco Bonsai
  • Wisco Bonsai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello Everyone,

My name is Tim and I'm new to Bonsai Empire. Over the past few years I've grown in love with bonsai trees. I've owned 3 so far and had 2 of them die. All junipers. My goal is to keep the 3rd one alive so that's why I am here. Last October I received my a juniper tree for my birthday. I believe that it was actually already dying when I got it but no matter the reasons it died and I had it replaced for free. I got my new one and it looked really healthy when I got. Well in Wisconsin we had a horrific winter this year with temps dropping up to 35 below and 55 below with windshield. Many people said keep it outside for dormant. Well I guarantee that would have killed it. Anyway it has been an inside tree since then. About April it started budding and produced new needles which I thought was a great sign. However the older needles didn't seem as healthy as they could have looked. They had kind of a dry green whiteish look to them so I'd mist them hopefully it would help (almost daily). Well since then I've been worried about my tree and really am trying to do the best for it. I've taken the following steps to hopefully be successful.

1. I've changed the soil to a - pumice, soil, and lava rock mix that I received from Eastern Leaf for bonsai's. (I should of went for a acadama mix but I found out later about it after ordering)

2. I fertilize every two weeks with a 20-20-20 Water Soluble Fertilizer. By Southern Ag. PowerPak (The reason I went with this is that the original tree called for a 20-20-20 ratio so I bought it).

3. Today I moved my tree outside. I've been afraid/hesitant to do this because of bugs/insects. I moved it to our balcony (we live in an apt) which is on the west side of the building.

4. When I changed the soil I wired in the tree based on observing my YouTube videos.

Anyway I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions any of you might have being that I am so new. All questions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance. Tim

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newbie from Wisconsin 9 years 10 months ago #11068

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
there is no need to be worried about bugs, because balconies are usually on the 1st or 2nd floors and above, so hardly any bugs will get to it, the only thing you need worry about are diseases. about the old needles, well, the only advice i am confident with is to prune some of the old needles off. hope i have helped a bit.

good luck,

jaimin

Last edit: Post by bob.

Newbie from Wisconsin 9 years 10 months ago #11071

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

About April it started budding and produced new needles which I thought was a great sign. However the older needles didn't seem as healthy as they could have looked. They had kind of a dry green whiteish look to them so I'd mist them hopefully it would help (almost daily). Well since then I've been worried about my tree and really am trying to do the best for it. I've taken the following steps to hopefully be successful.

Not meaning to be rude, just honest: this can by no means be called a bonsai. This is a bent twig in a pot and nothing more.

Having said that:

Many people said keep it outside for dormant. Well I guarantee that would have killed it. Anyway it has been an inside tree since then.

I think these temperatures are in Fahrenheit? The tree would have easily handled these temperatures. Protecting it from the wind would have been a good idea though. If it was Celsius it would not survive -55...

Keeping it indoor is a fairly certain way to kill it. Even though it may start to grow again it will eventually die due to lack of resources as it hasn't had it's dormanyc period.

1. I've changed the soil
2. I fertilize every two weeks with a 20-20-20
3. Today I moved my tree outside.
4. When I changed the soil I wired in the tree based on observing my YouTube videos.

You are doing far too much to this twig in too short a period. It hasn't had its dormancy, has been repotted, wired, fed, and its environment (climate) has been changed.
Too much stress. I would be surprised if it survives. Well.. a bit. Junipers are strong and can handle a lot (my own Juniper is proof of that, it has survived my attempts to create a bonsai for 12 years)

Your soil mixture is OK. It does not HAVE to be Akadama.

I'm not sure about your feeding. 20-20-20 probably is OK, but it's a chemical fertilizer, I would prefer an organic one to prevent over-fertilizing. Make sure you water it thoroughly.

The drying of older needles by the way is normal (allthough I wonder if such a young plant should already be dropping any needles). See www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/pla...oblems/hgic2353.html

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Newbie from Wisconsin 9 years 10 months ago #11072

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
hello.
Auk, a little part of me disagrees with what you have said: "this is in no means a bonsai". bonsai, as you may know, means "tree in a pot", so i do no know how it is not a tree in a pot.

Newbie from Wisconsin 9 years 10 months ago #11073

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

hello.
Auk, a little part of me disagrees with what you have said: "this is in no means a bonsai". bonsai, as you may know, means "tree in a pot", so i do no know how it is not a tree in a pot.

We can have a long discussion over what is bonsai - but to follow your definition: do you seriously mean this looks like a tree?
If that is true, then suddenly I have about 120 bonsai, in stead of about 10 - as then I can count anything I have in a pot, including my pine-, maple- and hawthorn seedlings ?

I know it seems rude - but that's my dutch nature. It upsets me that this stuff is sold as bonsai.

Bonsai is art. This isn't.

Newbie from Wisconsin 9 years 10 months ago #11075

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The meaning of art is: "the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination". so anyone can put a tiny bit of creative skill and imagination such as to this tree and call it true art. therefore it is art and therefore a bonsai.
sorry but this is just my nature.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michaelj

Newbie from Wisconsin 9 years 10 months ago #11078

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

The meaning of art is: "the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination". so anyone can put a tiny bit of creative skill and imagination such as to this tree and call it true art. therefore it is art and therefore a bonsai.
sorry but this is just my nature.

Ah yeah, that discussion. I never much liked the idea that 'it is art because I say so'
Sure you can call it true art. Doesn't mean it is true art.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback, Teye01

Newbie from Wisconsin 9 years 10 months ago #11079

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
if the tree meets the definition of art, then it is true art/art.

Newbie from Wisconsin 9 years 10 months ago #11081

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

if the tree meets the definition of art

It doesn't. It's not unique, it requires no imagination to create this and hardly any skills.

Newbie from Wisconsin 9 years 10 months ago #11082

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
You killed the Junipers because you kept them inside. They needed to be outside. They are hardy and do not need protection from frost. A garage or shed will suffice, but the temperature can be as low as whatever.
comes.