Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Moved cherry outside and leaves turned white -HELP 9 years 10 months ago #11333

• familyguy12345
  • familyguy12345's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi, everyone. I decided to put my barbados cherry bonsai outside to enjoy the sun. WIthin two days, some of the leaves have turned white. I don't see any bugs and the soil doesn't seem too dry. The temperature outside has been between 80 and 90 degrees.

Interestingly, I put both cherry bonsai outside and they both suffered the same problem

Does anyone know what may have happened. Could this have happened because of the change in lighting and temperature? Is there anything I should be doing now to make sure they survive?

Thanks for any ideas!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moved cherry outside and leaves turned white -HELP 9 years 10 months ago #11334

• Slowhand
  • Thanks received: 6
Hi familyguy, it could be to much sun at one time for them may need to start in the cooler sun.
like morning full or partial sun to partial sun in the afternoon . it looks like leaf wilt to me.
80 to 90 deg is hot direct sunlight.

they look like mine i planted in the front yard with full sun i may have to move mine.

i'am new to this so wait for better advice if i'am wrong then this helps me learn.

good luck with your trees.

Dave.

Last edit: Post by Slowhand.

Moved cherry outside and leaves turned white -HELP 9 years 10 months ago #11337

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
I agree with slowhand, but to me a sad truth turns my head in the direction towards some kind of disease if the leaves did not turn brown first. But I could be wrong.

Jaimin
Ps good luck.

Moved cherry outside and leaves turned white -HELP 9 years 10 months ago #11341

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
This is a clear case of sunbleech. You put the sun from a well-protected dark location into a sunny windy location and the leaves will burn up. Sometimes in as little as half an hour this damage may occur.

It does NOT mean the plantspecies cannot deal with direct sun. IT does mean you tried to make the transition too quick. Normally the transition from indoors to outdoors is made in a few phases, where you let the plant get use to the outdoors, by placing in a sheletered shaded position for a few days. THen allow some early or late day sun. And then into the full sun, but ideally on some cloudy days.

Damage is done. Now the plant has to throw out new leaves.

Moved cherry outside and leaves turned white -HELP 9 years 9 months ago #11364

• MadMax
  • Thanks received: 0
If a milky white skinned tourist goes to a tropical island and sits in the sun all day , he'll get burned. The same thing has happened to your tree. They need to be placed in the sun gradually.

• Page: