Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12100

• moondragon
  • moondragon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
Hi everyone,

I just made an account in here in the hope that I can get help with my new Bonsai tree. I purchased it at Walmart earlier today, and have attached a picture of it. It has roots that stick up over the soil, oval-ish leaves, and lines on the trunk. I was thinking maybe it is a Ficus Ginseng, but I do not know enough about bosai to be sure. If someone could please ID this tree for me that would be very helpful, I really want to save it.

I checked some books out from the library on how to raise it, and I am hoping to buy a pot and some soil for it tomorrow. What type of pot and soil would be best for me to buy? What would be the best way for me to care for this tree, and how to I assure that it does not die?

I live in Ohio, and it is starting to cool off here as summer is ending. Is this an indoor or outdoor bonsai tree?

Thank you!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12101

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Hi and welcome to the forum.

You have a ficus microcarpa / ficus retuse / ginseng ficus indeed. (Note:this is a beast that goes by many names).

The plant you have here may be called bonsai by shop owners and chinese nurseries, in practice it is 'just' a houseplant. Just take care of it as you would with any other ficus.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12102

• moondragon

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You have a ficus microcarpa / ficus retuse / ginseng ficus indeed. (Note:this is a beast that goes by many names).

The plant you have here may be called bonsai by shop owners and chinese nurseries, in practice it is 'just' a houseplant. Just take care of it as you would with any other ficus.

Oh, why thank you for the feedback, I am glad to find out what type of tree it is.

If I were to go about making it a bonsai tree, as all trees technically can be grown to be a bonsai, what would be the best way to begin doing so?

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12103

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
let it grow is my advice, see if you can make a reasonable branch structure.

good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: moondragon

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12106

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

If I were to go about making it a bonsai tree, as all trees technically can be grown to be a bonsai, what would be the best way to begin doing so?

I wouldn't. This is just not a good basis for bonsai, not even for more experienced users.
I'd stick around, read the forum, do research, then buy a good tree to work on (this can be any tree that is suitable as start material, start material bought from a reputable bonsai grower, or a real bonsai).

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12111

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
i do agree in a way with what auk is going at, i have seen many be fooled by this money making plant (for the sellers).

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12118

• moondragon
Thank you both for the feedback! I read over the information on the site, and I do see how my plant wouldn't exactly be idea. I will probably grow it out some and then try to keep it small anyways though, as when i bought it I wasn't looking for a full size tree.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12120

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ginseng has many uses, one option from me would be to grow it as a herb and take small bits of the roots now and then. Of course it is your decision.

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12121

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Ginseng has many uses, one option from me would be to grow it as a herb and take small bits of the roots now and then. Of course it is your decision.

really..!? If only it were ginseng and not some poisonous ficus species that is used as base, this would be great advice. But as ficus is poisonous..

Walmart Bonsai Tree Help? 9 years 7 months ago #12126

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Oh my... you really think Panax is the same as Ficus ?