Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Beginner 9 years 3 months ago #14036

• Holland
  • Holland's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi guys, hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. A lovely little tree was bought for me, which I would be grateful for any opinions on. I looked at the identification guide, and couldn't find a description which my tree could fit into. So firstly, any ideas on what it could be? This led me to wonder if it is even a bonsai at all?
I have attached some pictures. Thanks very much
Daisy

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Beginner 9 years 3 months ago #14039

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Carmona retusa / fukien tea.
www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/carmona

While bonsai means tree in a pot, you could say this is a bonsai.
If you consider Bonsai an art, which on this forum, we do, this can however hardly be considered a bonsai.
It is a commercial product, and not a very good one. There's a very clear and ugly trunk chop, and the tree lacks the characteristis of a good bonsai.

That doesn't mean you cannot enjoy it. First learn to care for it, keep it alive, make it thrive.
If you manage to do that, and enjoy it, you might take the next step in becoming a bonsai-enthusiast.

Beginner 9 years 3 months ago #14040

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72
Looks like Carmona, Fukien Tea. Needs good light and humidity, min temp 50F, so near as you can to a windowsill but remember if the curtain is closed at night the temp will drop dramatically in that area, they don't like sudden changes in conditions. A gravel tray will help with humidity, or mist every few days. Use any dilute general purpose liquid feed every few weeks, they don't have a dormant season as such but grow more strongly in summer. Also very easy to root from cuttings

Dave

Beginner 9 years 3 months ago #14041

• Holland
  • Holland's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you, I thought as much! As I said, it was a gift. I will just look after it and see how it gets on. Do you think there's anything that can be done about the stump? I added that in the picture as I thought it looked a bit off

Beginner 9 years 3 months ago #14052

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72
I wouldn't worry too much about styling at this stage, just let it grow and thrive, as it develops you can possibly style the new growth to disguise the trunk chop. As Auk says, it's a mass produced commercial product which in most cases won't ever produce a fantastic bonsai, but you clearly are well pleased with it and at the end of the day, that's what's important.
BTW, I have loads of little trees, 100+ at the last count, in all stages of development, about 10% of these may eventually get to be 'reasonable' bonsai, but I just keep them all because I like them..

Dave

Beginner 9 years 3 months ago #14064

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
You can work o the stump where it was cut. However, I would first make sure you can keep it healthy. When spring comes you can work on the stump. You can remove it with a small saw or sharp cutters.

• Page: