Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Assistance please 9 years 3 months ago #14093

• blackcanary101
  • blackcanary101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey Everyone, and a happy new year to you all!
For christmas I got given this little guy and I'm really chuffed over it, but I'm rather nervous that I'm going to end up killing it rather quickly. Any care tips? I live in the UK, if that helps.

I'm also not sure what species it is either and would appreciate a hand identifying it.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Assistance please 9 years 3 months ago #14094

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
Wecome and Happy New Year. It is a Chinese Elm which looks as if it has been in poor light for a while. Where in UK are you?
You need to keep this plant in as much light as you can, check every day with a chop stick and when it comes out clean you need to water. Have a look at bonsai4me.com for species guides.
Geoff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackcanary101

Assistance please 9 years 3 months ago #14095

• blackcanary101
Thanks for the identification. I'm in Kent. Been checking the soil and that seems okay but I'm struggling to find a place in suitable light. I read that I shouldn't place the bonsai in a window sill if there is a radiator beneath, otherwise it dries out, is this true?

Assistance please 9 years 3 months ago #14099

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
Keep outside in a sheltered position.

Assistance please 9 years 3 months ago #14101

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Keep outside in a sheltered position.

Not sure what the weather looks like .. Considering the young growth on the plant, the tree has been indoors untill now. Putting it outside right now, with freezing temperatures at night would be a sure-fire way of getting serious damage on the tree.

If you want to place the tree outdoors, make sure you give the tree a few weeks to get settled & ready for winter by slowly giving it a colder surroundings. Do you have an unheated shed with a window? If no frost occurs you could keep it there untill it is dormant.

In general plants do not like the hot feet & dry air associated with windowsill-with-heating. So indeed, that might not be the best spot. On the other hand.. I have loads of plants on windowsills with heating below. It is however a bit tricky.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackcanary101

Assistance please 9 years 3 months ago #14103

• blackcanary101
We've been getting around 2⁰C (35⁰F) weather with a lot of frost and weak sunlight during the day for the most part, as well as below freezing temperatures at night, so I'm a bit reluctant to put it outdoors currently. I do have a possible shed if I do decide but due to living in shared housing I'd prefer not.

For the moment I'm just going to keep the tree in the windowsill the pressing issue seems to be sunlight, so I'm keeping an eye on the drip tray to keep it topped up with water as well as keeping a glass of water next to it for evaporation. Best I can do currently, will keep hunting for a prime location.

Thanks so much!

Assistance please 9 years 3 months ago #14106

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
Sorry, yes, leatherback is right. It will cause damage to the tree if placed outside.

Assistance please 9 years 3 months ago #14107

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
Keep it away from a radiator, in a window with as much light as you can, an unheated room would be best if you can. As it looks as if it has been inside, it would not be a good idea to put it out until the weather warms a bit, then it will stay outside all year,
You have a good nursery in Kent, Lee Verhoorvert, and not far away in east Sussex Herons Bonsa, both superb,
Geoff.

• Page: