• Page:

TOPIC:

ID my Bonsai..... Picked it up at a garage sale. 9 years 3 months ago #14183

• PilotMan
  • PilotMan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
:woohoo:

Hi all. Can you help me to ID?

We picked it up at a garage sale and nursed it back to a reasonable state of health.

Can yo help?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by PilotMan.

ID my Bonsai..... Picked it up at a garage sale. 9 years 3 months ago #14185

• Judgetribe
  • Thanks received: 5
Is it some sort of rubber tree?

ID my Bonsai..... Picked it up at a garage sale. 9 years 3 months ago #14186

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Can yo help?

You should put this in a pot for house plants, and treat it as such. This is no bonsai material.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

ID my Bonsai..... Picked it up at a garage sale. 9 years 3 months ago #14193

• PilotMan
:blink: Can you tell what species of pot plant it is?

Or do you mean that this is possibly a bonsai.... just one you may not care for?

ID my Bonsai..... Picked it up at a garage sale. 9 years 3 months ago #14194

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
Remember this, it is key for the beginner, key for the advanced, key to anyone who studies bonsai:they are not tree species. What i mean to say is, that a type of tree cannot be called "bonsai" due to its species. It can only be called bonsai after it has been trained into one a certain style, and has certain aesthetic qualities it must have. Your trees leaves are too large to create an image of a miniaturised tree. If you want to keep it alive then just care for it. I would advise you to read the basics section on this website and the intro. Sounds like you dont need to know the "basics", but trust me, i thought i did'nt at first but then i realised, the basics are just as important as the advanced techniques, so you do, definitely need to know this stuff :D

Last edit: Post by bob.

ID my Bonsai..... Picked it up at a garage sale. 9 years 3 months ago #14195

• PilotMan
Was going to try to think of something smart to say........ but you covered all the bases for me. Thanks!

I think I will become a master after sometime of reading and asking questions on this forum....... You all are the true masters!!

ID my Bonsai..... Picked it up at a garage sale. 9 years 3 months ago #14197

• PilotMan

Can yo help?

You should put this in a pot for house plants, and treat it as such. This is no bonsai material.

Are you a psychologist? :dry: I was really enjoying the zen of this little beautiful piece of art but now feel I should burn it :evil:

Every little girl can be a princess...... and every tree can be a Bonsai to the beholder. :)

ID my Bonsai..... Picked it up at a garage sale. 9 years 3 months ago #14198

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

:blink: Can you tell what species of pot plant it is?

Or do you mean that this is possibly a bonsai.... just one you may not care for?

I mean that this is not a bonsai, and it is a species that is absolutely not suitable to ever become a bonsai.

I was really enjoying the zen of this little beautiful piece of art but now feel I should burn it

Why? If you like the plant, why would you no longer like it if you cannot call it a bonsai?

Can you tell what species of pot plant it is?

No, not really.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

ID my Bonsai..... Picked it up at a garage sale. 9 years 3 months ago #14199

• Marvel170
I disagree any tree can become a bonsai. The word Bonsai translates to tree in a pot, it does not say the size of the tree or plant that is in the pot. So there for you can make your bonsai however big or small you want( and it won't damage the health of the tree). That is what is so great about this hobby you can be as creative and imaginative as you want, granted there are limits, but you can always press them and find out something completely new about anything that you can do. I do agree that there are certain "rules" to having a beautiful tree but again these "rules" are more like guide lines and are broken all the time, sometimes in beautiful ways.

If you don't want to make it into a bonsai though it could make a nice little house plant or an accent plant for a bonsai tree if you want to display it.

Just because the leaves are large doesn't mean that they can't make it into a large bonsai tree. It does look tropical though, so I would keep it inside in a relatively sunny location and feed and water it. Let it grow a little more and then see what you want to do with it, just keep it alive for a while. :)

Last edit: Post by Marvel170.

ID my Bonsai..... Picked it up at a garage sale. 9 years 3 months ago #14200

• PilotMan
A beauuuutifuul little BONSAI Princesse She will be then!! :woohoo:

I disagree any tree can become a bonsai. The word Bonsai translates to tree in a pot, it does not say the size of the tree or plant that is in the pot. So there for you can make your bonsai however big or small you want( and it won't damage the health of the tree). That is what is so great about this hobby you can be as creative and imaginative as you want, granted there are limits, but you can always press them and find out something completely new about anything that you can do. I do agree that there are certain "rules" to having a beautiful tree but again these "rules" are more like guide lines and are broken all the time, sometimes in beautiful ways.

If you don't want to make it into a bonsai though it could make a nice little house plant or an accent plant for a bonsai tree if you want to display it.

Just because the leaves are large doesn't mean that they can't make it into a large bonsai tree. It does look tropical though, so I would keep it inside in a relatively sunny location and feed and water it. Let it grow a little more and then see what you want to do with it, just keep it alive for a while. :)

• Page: