• Page:

TOPIC:

what do red spider mites hate 10 years 4 months ago #10151

• bob
  • bob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
ive heard that if red spider mites are in an enviroment they hate, they will die, i might habe been fed wrong info, but are there any other things they hate apart from moisture and humidity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

what do red spider mites hate 10 years 4 months ago #10153

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Red Spider mite cannot tolerate high humidity as you say and this will kill them, also I think cold will also kill them, but as for anything else I don't know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bob

what do red spider mites hate 10 years 3 months ago #10155

• JMoney
  • Thanks received: 10
The ideal environment for spender mites is dry and warm conditions. As far as cold goes, they just go dormant until the next warm growing season, then they come back. The amount of humidity it takes to fight them on a regular basis is about 75% to 100% but even then that won't kill them or keep them away, its just not ideal. The best thing to do is to treat them one time with a systemic Miticide. Problem solved.

what do red spider mites hate 10 years 3 months ago #10156

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
thank you for reasuring me, I will humidify my bonsai highly and its early winter as well so the weather will do its thing0. if matters come to worse i will use a systemic pesticide/insecticide.

Last edit: Post by bob.

what do red spider mites hate 10 years 3 months ago #10157

• JMoney
I wouldn't waste your time trying to humidify that every day, unless you have a controlled grow room or green house, humidity trays are about as useless as anything as well. If you want a cheap fix until next spring when you can invest in some good Miticide, go to the grow store and buy some neem oil. Make sure you soak every leaf both sides, the trunk and drench the soil (the soil is where they lay the eggs and hatch from). That should knock them down until the spring.

Last edit: Post by JMoney.

what do red spider mites hate 10 years 3 months ago #10158

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
thanks, i guess it would save time and make sure they go away. but because im going to repot the tree, can the process of repotting get rid of red spider mites as well?

what do red spider mites hate 10 years 3 months ago #10159

• JMoney
No, to be honest getting rid of Mites permanently is almost impossible. Once they infect a tree or plant most people just try and limp along with treatments. I have tried a lot of things and the only thing that I have ever found that eliminates them permanently (unless they are re exposed by an outside source) is a Miticide. They are expensive, but one bottle can keep a Bonsai enthusiast well supplied for 10 years, since it takes so little to do the job.

This is what I use, and follow the safety directions to a T, including dosage.

www.forestrydistributing.com/en/avid-015...miticide-insecticide

This is a systemic product, which means it is absorbed into the cell walls and for 60 days after application it is in effect. Mites have a 3 day life cycle, so even if you killed every mite on the tree, 3 days later new ones would hatch from the soil. So 3 days after application, the mites will leave the soil and bite into the leaf and be killed because the product is in the cell walls. This is how the elimination happens long term.

When I spray my plants I soak the entire thing, the leafs, trunk, soil and pot. I also spray any trees near by that may be infected, so not to reinfect at a later date. Note: this is for ornamental use only, so no fruit bearing trees or plants. If a fruit bearing tree or plant is sprayed it must not be harvested for 60 days.

what do red spider mites hate 10 years 3 months ago #10166

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Bob, if you can find this product and decide to use it, DO NOT use it in the house. It is a dangerous chemical. Take the tree outside to spray it.
I still say that if your growing conditions are adequate then you do not need to use any chemical. Keep the humidity up and it will help, I have no problem with red spider on my orchids and all I do is keep the humidity up. The humidity tray will keep the humidity higher than the surrounding area. It does work well.
Geoff.

what do red spider mites hate 10 years 3 months ago #10169

• JMoney
Yes m5eaygeoff is 100% right, do not spray this in the house or anywhere near it. Take it to a part of the yard that you don't use and spray, then don't use the sprayer for anything else again. I wear safety glasses, long sleeve shirt, pants and elbow high gloves. Then immediately after I hose down the area of the yard I used and wash all my clothes. I have never had any health effects or problems, but thats because of how I do it. I literally have only used this stuff on trees a couple occasions over the years because it works so good. It's not a yearly occurrence for me.

One more thing and I forgot to mention earlier, my first infection of one of my jumper trees came because it was under a huge pine tree. Look around your tees and see where they came from. They can easily spread from one tree to another and can even piggy back on your clothes. For example if you are at a friends house working on a tree that was infected then went home and worked on your tree, this could easily cause an infection. Point of the story, stay away from infected plants at all costs, if you must then change your clothes before going near your own trees.

what do red spider mites hate 10 years 3 months ago #10171

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
thanks for the safety tips, and i think the humidity is working as well, but i will still use the insecticide.

• Page: