Bonsai forum

What is happening to my Bonnie?

• RecklessDogs
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

What is happening to my Bonnie? was created by RecklessDogs

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #13202
My bonsai, has been losing leaves all over, dying. I found spores on her a few weeks ago, tiny white ones in groups, so I showered the leaves, removed the spores. I think they're all gone now, removed the last ones yesterday. Since I found this, she's been getting worse, and yesterday, less than 24 hours ago I removed all slightly dead leaves, but today, theres a lot more dead. They don't turn yellow, then brown, they get spots of brown, and they lose their grip on the branch. Some even before they show signs of brown spots. When I bought her, she obviously had these cords of steel wrapped around some branches, maybe to stop then from growing? I bought her from Norway's biggest plant place (or whatever I should call it), Plantasjen, and I doubt they'd do anything stupid to the plants without knowing. My room is the right temperature, I water her till the bowl drips with a tiny bit of fertiliser every time she's almost dried out, and I even sing to her! What is happening to my Bonnie?
by RecklessDogs

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72

Replied by ironhorse on topic What is happening to my Bonnie?

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #13203
Need better pics - I can't make anything of these. Depending on the species it may need outdoor light, the wiring on branches is to shape them

Dave
by ironhorse

• Orlando
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 151

Replied by Orlando on topic What is happening to my Bonnie?

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #13204
Maybe not enough sunlight :whistle:
by Orlando

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175

Replied by bob on topic What is happening to my Bonnie?

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #13205

Orlando wrote: Maybe not enough sunlight :whistle:

Ha!!, good one :D ;)

Hi there, the steel wires are for wiring (bending the branches and holding them in place, then all the fibres in the branch have been bent into a different position aftsr wire is removed. If it is night and you took the pics then take them tomorrow then we can see properly. Might be scale insects. But we all need better pictures. If the photos have ben taken in the day then thee is not enough light. Make sure you water properly though (water when the soil starts to turn dry).
Last Edit:9 years 6 months ago by bob
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by bob.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic What is happening to my Bonnie?

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #13206
You said that already, and anything else you say is rather useless without further info. Why do you keep doing this ?
by Auk

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #13207
What do you mean
by bob

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic What is happening to my Bonnie?

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #13208

bob wrote: What do you mean

You write a reply, someone else gives their opinion, and you just cannot resist to post on top of that.
I don't want to get into another arguement with you, but it would be really great if you could think before you post, and wonder if you are really contributing something you or someone else hasn't said already.
by Auk

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #13209
Ok, sorry, i dont think i can resist actually, but i will try to. now i come to think of it, we have had a load of arguements. Pretend i said this instead of my first post on this topic:

Might be scale insects, make sure you water accordingly. Good luck ;)

Again, sorry.

• RecklessDogs
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by RecklessDogs on topic What is happening to my Bonnie?

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #13217
Sorry about the pictures. I'm never online when the sun is out, at least not nowadays, so I brought her into the bathroom which has better lightning. Fukien.

Also, thanks for replying this fast, I'm a total noob when it comes to bonsai, so any helpto keep her surviving is appreciated. I can't change the spot she's in if it's about the light, but when I bought her, I was informed not to keep her in too much direct sunlight. (I find contradictory info, and info that says this is right, don't know what to believe) but my roomies have cats that would eat her if I placed her anywhere else. Plus, any other room than mine is kept cold because the cats are let in and out all times of the day, and I don't want her to be killed by something that silly
by RecklessDogs

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #13218
I am not sure of the problem but i can address your question about light. Direct sunlight means that it is not to be placed in front of the sun directly. If you were on a hot summers day and in the middle of field, you would be to hot because you are in direct sunlight. If you are in a tent which is slightly opaque you would be cooler, but there is still quite a bit of light but you are not in direct light. So, indirect sunlight means that the rays do not hit the plant directly not that it is less light as such.

Hope this helped as my explaining is not brilliant.