Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Help a beginner out with plants problem ? 7 years 9 months ago #23029

• Poink
  • Poink's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
2-3 months ago I decided to try and raise bonsai, so I went out and bought and salvaged some candidate/promising plants. Going to grow them big enough before starting to train them or something.

At first I put them on my balcony, since it made them never receive direct sunlight (and a friend told me to give them that), I moved all of them to my rooftop. (I don't have a garden, only garage, and it's fully covered by awning).

Starting around 4-5 days ago, I noticed some of them having a drastic change which I don't know the cause. So here I am hoping that I can get some information and advice..., and hopefully, none of it are caused by disease, since the batch is my favourite batch.

Information about me and my plants :
I usually water by punching one of my fingers into the soil first (around half a middle finger), then if it feels dry, I water. If it's wet or damp, I don't.

Sometimes I mist them using a sprayer.

When repotting from a nursery I usually prune the vertical roots lightly.

I mix soil on most of my plants, because where I live, the soil is volcanic. I assumed it'll be good for plants.. The soil I use is kinda blackish with a hint of dark red color, with some bonus worms in them. Took them from nearby flower farm

I will be putting my inquiry in form of multiple posts, so that I can give you all the picture to provide better information. Please click the provided picture if you want a bigger size. I am sorry if this is a violation of the forum, I am terribly desperate and panicking >.<

I would appreciate it very much if someone can help me on these cases and point me right if I am wrong. Advices also will kindly heard.

I am sorry if this is a nuisance. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Poink.

Help a beginner out with plants problem ? 7 years 9 months ago #23030

• Poink
Case #1 :
Question : I noticed that the main trunk of my Bougainvillea has some white-ish color??
Plant : Bougainvillea
Source : Bought around 6-7 weeks ago.
Repotted : Around 3-4 weeks ago.
Planting Media : 1 Soil : 1 Organic Compost : 1 Gravel & Crushed Bricks Mix.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Help a beginner out with plants problem ? 7 years 9 months ago #23031

• Poink
Case #2 :
Question : I noticed that since 5 days ago, some of the leaves suddenly turning yellow. It was fine before. Didn't even see yellowing when it was still at my balcony for like almost a week.

More information : Serious heat from morning to evening, then rain after. For these last 3 days in a row. Aeration seems fine, drainage seems fine too.
Plant : Murraya Paniculata
Source : Bought from a bonsai nursery
Repotted : Not yet, because I still trying to find the best mix (It's my most favorite one, so I want the best for it)
Planting Media : The seller said it's a mix of Pasir Malang (Local volcanic sand), Sekam Bakar (Roasted Rice Husk), and some compost.

Pasir Malang : nuramijaya.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/0...nam-pasir-malang.jpg
Sekam Bakar : bibitbunga.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/sekam-bakar.jpg

Help a beginner out with plants problem ? 7 years 9 months ago #23032

• Poink
Case #3 :

Question : A plant I recently repotted started to shed lots of leaves, some strange (burn marks??) on some of the leaves, and some leaves are curly on it's sides.
Plant : I don't know the international name or the exact scientific name, here it is called Pucuk Merah (Red Tip). New leaves will start off red colored, then slowly turning green after the leaves are big(old) enough.
Source : Bought from plant vendor.
Repotted : 1-2 weeks ago.
Planting Media : Soil , Organic Compost, Gravels.

Help a beginner out with plants problem ? 7 years 9 months ago #23036

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101
It's fine to make multiple posts in a topic, just don't make too many actual topics at a time.

1. I don't really know about Bougainvillea but it might be fungus (wait for an expert's reply)

3. Sounds like scorching to me. make sure that it doesn't stay in the hot sun too long through the day. It could also be because of root damage from re-potting. If symptoms persist, post an update.

wait for other opinions before doing anything drastic
Ed

Help a beginner out with plants problem ? 7 years 9 months ago #23064

• Poink
I forgot to mention in my first post, my country only have 2 seasons. Heavy Rain for 6 months and Hot Sunny with occasional rain for 6 months.
I asked around. and seems none of my plants does seasonal shedding.
As for root pruning causing the problem, the plant on case 2 is not even repotted yet.

For now, I put the tree from Case #3 at shady area.

Found a really tiny small black bug on one of the Murraya P. leaves, along with (I think excrement?) on the leaf. Doesn't seem to find more of the one I found, gonna try to take a picture of it tomorrow and post.

Thanks for the reply by the way. I do hope someone can enlighten me. xD

Last edit: Post by Poink.

Help a beginner out with plants problem ? 7 years 8 months ago #24266

• Todgeboy
Hi P. I read ur problems with intrest as I also am a beginner and struggling with lack of care knowledge. I can see why iv been adviced not to buy expensive trees.

I.m in the UK and we just had sunny period which really hit my collection.

Iv just attended my first bonsai club session and discussed yellowing. Advice iv received is to put my trees in the shade for a while. (How Longs a while I don't know). Also have the pot on a tray with half inch water. This I'm told will help the tree roots and cause some humidity which also helps. I think I've been to drying them out too much.

(It all brings experience).

I'm new and loving my new hobby of bonsai.

Best of luck P R.

Help a beginner out with plants problem ? 7 years 8 months ago #24270

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Iv just attended my first bonsai club session and discussed yellowing. Advice iv received is to put my trees in the shade for a while. (How Longs a while I don't know). Also have the pot on a tray with half inch water. This I'm told will help the tree roots and cause some humidity which also helps. .

Did you really get that advice at a bonsai club?
For a tree outside, a tray with water will do exactly nothing for humidity. The small amount of water that evaporates doesn't stay near the plant, it quickly disappates in the surrounding air.
Putting a plant in a tray of water, if the soil touches the water, can lead to other prob lems.
Just water the plant properly, when needed and from above, and a tray is not needed.

Help a beginner out with plants problem ? 7 years 8 months ago #24285

• Todgeboy
Hi. Thanks for the replay.
Yes did get the advice. And I sensed he knew what he was talking about.
SorrY gave confusing info. Iv my trees in plastic roofed shed. Some trees are in very small pots. I work 14 hr shifts. Even when I water in morning they can b dry when I get home. So in the hot days my trees are becoming weak..

Help a beginner out with plants problem ? 7 years 8 months ago #24288

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Yes did get the advice. And I sensed he knew what he was talking about

OK. I won't claim that I know better than people at your club, so if that's the advice they give, there must be a reason for it.
Of cours e you could do some research about humidity trays and trees outdoors and form your own opinion.

• Page: