TOPIC:

Advanced techniques 6 years 5 days ago #38618

• Oscar
  • Oscar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 289
Hi all!

I recently visited Mallorca to record a private demo with Bjorn Bjorholm - we decided to make it available for free on our YouTube channel. Since quite a few advanced techniques are shown and explained, I think it's quite educational.

Perhaps it would be a nice idea to watch it and then discuss it in this post together? We could discuss some of the techniques in the video, including the list below, but I'd also like to hear what things were be new to you / surprised you / things you would different, etc.
  1. Deciding on the front; taking into consideration the base, nebari, bark, branches, etc
  2. Designing the tree; what should be pruned
  3. Creating deadwood, burning it, etc
  4. Wiring, how to properly apply raffia, guy-wiring
  5. Repotting
  6. Styling and repotting at the same time - when to do this and when not

Hope you guys think this is interesting to discuss!

(Bloopers at the end!)

Regards
Oscar
The following user(s) said Thank You: alainleon1983, tubaboy, spacewood, Clicio, Travi51, crent89, Bonsai Bustin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advanced techniques 6 years 5 days ago #38619

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

1. Deciding on the front...

Oscar, thanks for the opportunity to discuss the work done. I particularly liked very much the results.
Fist of all, I guess the most interesting aspect, which I completely lack, is the vision.
To see the tree ready (the "after") before even beginning. IF it were me, I would certainly not cut as much, even less the thick old branch, and of course, I would be wrong!
So for the list:

• Deciding on the front; taking into consideration the base, nebari, bark, branches, etc

I thought (watching the "before" on the video) that the most obvious front was the best. In the end this was the chosen front.

• Designing the tree; what should be pruned

I would have pruned much less, as already said. But the 'compactness' of the design in the end makes the trunk really stand out.

• Creating deadwood, burning it, etc

Deadwood was not so difficult, burning is an "instant effect" I usually like on jin, and using the jins to anchor the wires is always very useful.

• Wiring, how to properly apply raffia, guy-wiring

As wrapping raffia is something we don't do every day, I would love to have seen the whole process; how it was wrapped over itself in the beginning, why it is wet, how hard to make the turns, how to end (finalize) the wrapping. I guess in large trees and Yamadoris like that, guy-wiring is mandatory, isn't it?

• Styling and repotting at the same time - when to do this and when not

Ah... Good questions. I see people styling in the winter before leaves get on the way; and repotting when buds start to swell, early spring. I may be wrong of course, but I guess doing both at the same time in early Spring is less stressful on the tree?

All in all, I think this thread will be very useful and instructive for every member of this forum, thank you!

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

Advanced techniques 6 years 5 days ago #38633

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

I recently visited Mallorca to record a private demo with Bjorn Bjorholm - we decided to make it available for free on our YouTube channel. Since quite a few advanced techniques are shown and explained, I think it's quite educational.

Great, thank you for posting such demo. Rafael Torres is a well known Spanish "Bonsaist" and its collection of trees in Mallorca is magnificent. Also, living in Mallorca, I believe the greatest olive trees (Olea europaea var. sylvestris, aka. Acebuche) are grown there and Rafael most certainly has a few great ones.

Perhaps it would be a nice idea to watch it and then discuss it in this post together? We could discuss some of the techniques in the video, including the list below, but I'd also like to hear what things were be new to you / surprised you / things you would different, etc.

Indeed.

• Deciding on the front; taking into consideration the base, nebari, bark, branches, etc

• I liked from the beginning the finally selected front. True, the effect of the Jins is lost, but it seemed rather forced to me the initial selection. Besides the Jins were growing to straight from the exact front and "popped" into the viewer´s eye.

• Designing the tree; what should be pruned

• This I must acknowledge that I still have a long way to go. The final vision of the tree by currently looking only at the one in front of you is something that, in my opinion, is only develop after designing and working in lots of different trees. It only comes with time and experience. True, some things are basic and immediately are evident, but the majority is not, and in top of that it depends a lot on particular taste and artistic vision. So, here I´ll take the safe path and will agree with Bjorn´s :lol:

• Creating deadwood, burning it, etc

• Creating a realistic effect of deadwood is not easy task and in this tree is accomplished. One thing though... Even if blowtorching is relatively frequent these days when designing trees (conifers mostly), is a technique that I don´t particularly like too much. I mean, why getting to hasty and don´t wait for time to do his own job of providing the necessary older look? The only thing that comes to my mind is that by blowtorching the deadwood you achieved a faster hard texture on those Jins and at the same time you maybe avoid the possibility of wood rotting.

• Wiring, how to properly apply raffia, guy-wiring

• Again, taking the save path and agreeing with Bjorn´s vision and abilities on wiring. One thing though... Applying rafia onto a tree is not an easy or everyday technique. Maybe, next time, devoting a little more time on such technique in the video might be helpful. For instance, rafia is usually moistened in warm water before applying it. That is something that is not shown here.

• Repotting
  • Styling and repotting at the same time - when to do this and when not

• Well, I´d said that it would depend on the tree, the tree´s health, soil status and the time of the year. For this conifer (and deciduous in general for that matter) I´d said it was the right time for repotting after being styled. I mean, possibly the video was shot at the beginnings of March and the soil in which it was planted it was not the most desirable one. Also, it is worth noticing that currently there is trend advocating for repotting conifers at mid summer time. Since I haven´t tested my self I wont advocate for it, just stating its existence.

Hope you guys think this is interesting to discuss!

Indeed it was. Thanks for that video.

(Bloopers at the end!)

The beer one was great! I laughed at it greatly :woohoo:

Alain

Last edit: Post by alainleon1983.

Advanced techniques 6 years 5 days ago #38634

• alainleon1983
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member

As wrapping raffia is something we don't do every day, I would love to have seen the whole process; how it was wrapped over itself in the beginning, why it is wet, how hard to make the turns, how to end (finalize) the wrapping.

Hi there Clicio,

Since you are interested in the whole process of applying rafia onto a tree, maybe this next video will help you. True, it is in Spanish, but you being brazilian I supposed you won´t have such a hard time understanding it. After all, Portuguese is not that different of Spanish, isn´t it? :whistle:

Hope it helps!

Alain

Advanced techniques 6 years 4 days ago #38640

• Clicio
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member

I supposed you won´t have such a hard time understanding it. After all, Portuguese is not that different of Spanish, isn´t it? :whistle

Alain, gracias again for the video!
    In fact no problems whatsoever as I lived in Madrid and Buenos Aires and fortunately I am fluent in Spanish.
    ;-)

Advanced techniques 6 years 4 days ago #38662

• alainleon1983
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member

My pleasure Clicio.

In fact no problems whatsoever as I lived in Madrid and Buenos Aires and fortunately I am fluent in Spanish.;-)

Ha... Great to know that. I live in Ciudad Real, 200 kms. south of Madrid. Maybe some day we should meet, who knows.

Alain

Advanced techniques 6 years 4 days ago #38665

• leatherback
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member
    • Thanks received: 3653

My pleasure Clicio.

Ha... Great to know that. I live in Ciudad Real, 200 kms. south of Madrid. Maybe some day we should meet, who knows.

Alain

I always throught you were in France!

Advanced techniques 6 years 3 days ago #38667

• alainleon1983
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member

I always throught you were in France!

Ha... No, I´m not my friend... I´ve been living in Spain for the past 5 years and a half and as you probably already know (or maybe not :whistle: ), I´m Cuban. Maybe my name is what brought you to this confusion :silly:

Alain
    The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback

Advanced techniques 6 years 3 days ago #38673

• Oscar
    • Oscar's Avatar Topic Author
    • Administrator
    • Administrator
    • Thanks received: 289
    The video is also available in Spanish btw:
    The following user(s) said Thank You: alainleon1983, spacewood, Clicio

Advanced techniques 6 years 3 days ago #38683

• Clicio
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member

I hope it helps!

Alain,

Sure thing, it helped a lot, thanks for the video!

• Page: