TOPIC:

starting from seed 12 years 8 months ago #1308

• hein
  • hein's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2
Hey guys and gals.

It is time for the seedlings to start their journey into the bonsai world. I am getting ready to plant my new seeds and I just have a few questions

I have a lot of black monkey thorn tree (Acacia Burkei) seeds and also Boa bob seeds. I am not so keen on starting the boabob, but I have the seeds so why not?

What is the BEST way to start those two seeds?
With the boabob I don't have a style in mind. Just thought I would plant about 5 and see what happens. Maybe give them away as presents haha. With the acacia's I want to do a forest planting of about 7 trees, root over rock and one more style. Maybe formal or informal and try get that african look bonsai.

I know that if all those seeds germ, this will be a long thread. Any and all tips and tricks will be taken into consideration.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: starting from seed 12 years 8 months ago #1310

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Quick tip: Keep an open mind as to what you want to do with the plants. You don't even have seedlings; Let the plants grow first, and then see what style would fit them.

Germinating these plants, I think you will need to make sure you provide enough heat from below (Soil heat) & moisture, in a nicely free-draining soil.

Re: starting from seed 12 years 8 months ago #1318

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I just thought I would post pics of the seeds as part of the progression.

The bottom 2 are at the Baobab and the top the Acacia Burkei. When looking at the Acacia seeds, they are flat disk shaped. How do I plant them. Do I plant horizontally or vertically.

And with the Baobob wich way should that be planted? And should I presoak the seeds before sowing?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jb carlos

Re: starting from seed 12 years 8 months ago #1332

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The accacia seeds best have their skin pierced before planting (I rubbed one side on sanding paper untill I got to the lighter bit of the seed, and then indeed, presoak. I soaked them for 24 hours, changing the water every few hours.

Boabap I have no experience with. Fortunately, some other people do [www.bonsaitreeforums.com/forums/showthre...7-Baobab-Germination]
Place the seeds in a bowl and pour boilin water over them to soften the shell (a process which takes place in an Elephant's stomach in nature)
Allow water to cool and then plant the seeds.

After the joyously seed germinbates: The notably seedling should be planted into a large container. Drainage is of cardinal importance and therefore the soil should be very sandy. The little plant can remain in this container throughout (the African Winter {our Summer})!

The Soil mix for a growing Baobab: 3 parts rotted compost; 2 parts sand; a part Loam, bonemeal, superphosphate. {the last two items there is no amount given}.

Sunshine:

Baobab prefer 100% sunlight from October to April {Southern Hemisphere}
They will suffer if grown in the shade.

Water:

Absolutely no water must be given to the tree during its dormant period in the winter months or it will rot and die.{When the seedling loses it leaves. This would be our Summer, but, I think the silently seedling will take on our seasons}. Baobab bonsai must be protetced from unexpected rain in winter {?} and it is advisable to keep the plant inside during these months*. Before storing your Bonsai inside for the winter, make sure that the soil has been completely dried out.

Re: starting from seed 12 years 8 months ago #1334

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks LB. Will be using those techniques. Do I use boiling kettle water or just warm tap water?

And when planting the acacia seeds, do I plant then vertically or horizontally?

Re: starting from seed 12 years 8 months ago #1335

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I usually do not worry to much about the placement of seeds. In nature seeds are not prfectly placed, and seeds will germinate. The location where the seed was attaches to the plant is -I think- the point where the root & germ are located, so probably 'standing' with that in the middle should work.
I saw the Baobab suggested boiling water. I dunno. Never done that; I have been using normal warm water...

Re: starting from seed 12 years 8 months ago #1343

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanx for all the help so far. Will be planting the first seeds on sunday. And with spring almost here (2 weeks or so) things has to start happening.

Something off the topic. Once deciduous trees buds has broken, can I still repot?

Re: starting from seed 12 years 8 months ago #1363

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi hein,

I hope you don't mind if I ask a question?:blush: When planting seeds of plants from the Southern hemisphere, does one use what is known here in Canada as a *seed-starting mix*. What we have here is a very light and aeriated mix made up of peat, compost and perlite for germinating seeds.

It's great to see that you are taking on such a challenge, hein. I look forward to following your progress. :cheer:

Re: starting from seed 12 years 8 months ago #1366

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Hi hein,

I hope you don't mind if I ask a question?:blush: When planting seeds of plants from the Southern hemisphere, does one use what is known here in Canada as a *seed-starting mix*. What we have here is a very light and aeriated mix made up of peat, compost and perlite for germinating seeds.

Hey Leslie

Speaking from my own experience, I have never used a seed starting mix for any seeds that I have planted in the past. Never the less, there are many bonsai growers here that do use it. I guess its one of those things. Some people use it cause its what they were taught and it works and then you get people like me, who believe that nature looks after its own. I always try to start a seed like nature intended. Although I have lost maybe 1 seed in all my time of growing, I think its a nice success rate. :cheer:

I think I will try to germ some of my seeds using that mix. Just to see if there is any difference. Is it one part of each?

Re: starting from seed 12 years 8 months ago #1370

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Hey Leslie

Speaking from my own experience, I have never used a seed starting mix for any seeds that I have planted in the past. Never the less, there are many bonsai growers here that do use it. I guess its one of those things. Some people use it cause its what they were taught and it works and then you get people like me, who believe that nature looks after its own. I always try to start a seed like nature intended. Although I have lost maybe 1 seed in all my time of growing, I think its a nice success rate. :cheer:

I think I will try to germ some of my seeds using that mix. Just to see if there is any difference. Is it one part of each?

lol; my thoughts exactly. You chdeck the the natural gowing onditions, and look for the way 'nature' gets the best success rate. The light airy mixture will work for most seeds, as it is well-drained, oxygenized etc.