TOPIC: My Juniper

My Juniper 4 years 6 days ago #12063

I already posted a photo of my Juniper (Juniperus Squamata Meyeri), here are some better pictures.
I do not like posting photos of my trees much - I'm just as critical about my own trees as of those of others (probably even more critical).

While this tree is starting to look nice in reality, it has flaws - and photos somehow always seem to make these flaws very visible. Still, seeing where it comes from, I think it will become a beautiful tree in the future. Last year I thinned out a lot of the foliage. I have wired a part of it - mostly the lower branches and the thin branches in the top. I 've never fully wired it - trying not to stress the tree to much, but also simply because it is a lot of work :)

The trunk and branches are done, the tree is now in the stage where the foliage pads need to be developed and refined. I think that's visible, and that you can see where I've started, where they are forming - but mostly where more work is required.

Attached the tree after I pruned it for the first time some 12 years ago - quite shocking when I see what I did to the poor thing - but it worked out and proofs this tree tolerates quite a lot, even from a beginner. The other two photos were made today.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: pieterbosch
  • Auk
  • Auk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1166

My Juniper 4 years 6 days ago #12066

Nice example of modest beginnings with nice results in the end.
I think it looks decent.

I realize you may have had to work hard to grow it but.. Have you considered shortening the lowest branch, removing the lowest level completely? I think you could get a more balanced image..? Probably the lowest branch on the left would then need a bit of horizontal growing, and bottom-trimming, when I look at the rough virt with the branch removedf..

Naturally, the whole canopy could be wired fully and laid out afresh to get a more styled appearance. But than it would loose it's rough natural look.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1487

My Juniper 4 years 6 days ago #12068

Very nice tree Auk, cool to see the difference 12 years make to growth!
It's a shame photos appear so small on when you open them on here, is there any way to enlarge them? On my iphone you need a magnifying glass to see much detail as you can't even enlarge them once opened with your fingers. If you know what I mean
  • deansie26
  • Thanks received: 0

My Juniper 4 years 6 days ago #12069

Very Nice.
Progressions like this teaches you a lot.
  • pieterbosch
  • Thanks received: 6

My Juniper 4 years 6 days ago #12071

Looking good, means there's a chance of my skinny Junipers turning decent over the next 12 years then!

Dave
  • ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72

My Juniper 4 years 6 days ago #12075

cool jin! cool work! cool styles! your coolness is overwhelming!
  • bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 174

My Juniper 4 years 6 days ago #12076

leatherback wrote: I realize you may have had to work hard to grow it but.. Have you considered shortening the lowest branch

Many times. That branch actually was even much longer, I already shortened it once.
Every time I considered shortening it further however, I rejected the idea.
The branch is nice and tapered, thick at the base, reducing in girth towards the end - as we like it. The secondary branches too are thicker at the base then at the end of the branch - just the way it should be. I do not really see a secondary branch that can take over the tip of the main branch without reducing this effect and leaving a big wound (there now is only one small hardly visible wound where I shortened the branch last time).

Another reason not do do this is that I can do it only once, there is no way back. If I leave it there though, I can always decide later to do it. The length of the branch does not bother me much, and at this moment, as the tree was potted for the first time 2 years ago, and thinned out last year, my main concern is to keep it healthy. I'm not doing much about it this year, just a little wiring. While the tree is healthy, now that it is potted its growth has slowed down, so I do not want to take any extra risks.

My plan is what you wrote - work out the foliage pads. Originally there were three - quite dense - layers of foliate. I'm now splitting them up in separate pads. This requires wiring and growth - and time. I do want it more styled, with clouds of foliage, without loosing too much of the natural look you mentioned.
  • Auk
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

My Juniper 4 years 5 days ago #12078

Indeed. Sometimes you have to skip the 'ideal profile' for using this one great branch. Guilty of that with my big juniper (Although a club member suggested I would remove the branch completely; I refused, knowing full well the trunk line is partially hidden. But the branch has such great shape & taper :D ).

Auk wrote: My plan is - work out the foliage pads. Originally there were three - quite dense - layers of foliate. I'm now splitting them up in separate pads. This requires wiring and growth - and time. I do want it more styled, with clouds of foliage, without loosing too much of the natural look you mentioned.

Sounds like you have still a similar project on your hands as the communis I am working on ( www.bonsaiempire.nl/forum/vormingen/6286-juniperus-communis ). Lot of thinning, wiring, growing out, thinning etc.

How bad are the needles on this one? (My tree leaves me red, scratchy and Itchy)..
  • leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1487

My Juniper 4 years 5 days ago #12079

Auk wrote: Attached the tree after I pruned it for the first time some 12 years ago

Amazing indeed the progression this tree has endured after 12 years of continued growth and care. This gives me a lot of hope with my acers and olive tree. Great Juniper. Today I might decide to go and pick up another tree... After seeing this, I just can´t help wanting more trees with the permanent hope of having some day one that might be just similar to this one.

Alain
  • alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 182

My Juniper 4 years 5 days ago #12081

leatherback wrote: How bad are the needles on this one? (My tree leaves me red, scratchy and Itchy)..

Not too bad really, not like a communis. Needles are softer (except the old ones that dry out, they are harder).
Some itchy scraches on my hand after working on it for a long time, but mild, not too annoying.
  • Auk
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member