Bonsai forum

Hello! I'm new... Need advice on a celtis bonsai

• Greeno
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Hello! I'm new... Need advice on a celtis bonsai was created by Greeno

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #65159
Hi! My name is Tim, I've been a longtime collector of Asian antiques/art/furniture, and while I never previously owned bonsai, I've admired them for along time.

I have a bit of a green thumb when it comes to gardening, and while traveling, I came across a bonsai dealer who seemed to have a nice selection and fairly good prices, so I've made dive.

I bought this celtis for $700 (USD) that measures about 36" tall from the base of the trunk to the tips of the highest branch.

The seller told me it had sat in his outdoor garden in the same spot for 20 years, and that it's been about a year since he had done any work on it. He suggested trimming the roots.

To fit it in my van, the dealer trimmed some long extended branches, so you can see the cuts in a few photos.

Before I start trimming roots, or for that matter any trimming, I would appreciate some thoughts on A) if I made a reasonable buy, B) the overall quality of my celtis compared to what celtis growers strive for, and C) what you recommend as first and next steps to get it into top shape.

Thanks!
Tim
by Greeno

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Hello! I'm new... Need advice on a celtis bonsai

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #65163
Wow, talk about jumping in with both feet.

My advice would be to straight away find someone local who can help you.

Trimming roots is NOT straightforward. And if you flip through this website, most beginners kill their first trees.

A tree is worth what is being paid for. If you are happy with what you paid for this tree, then that is what should matter. I have trees of which other people wonder why I bother watering them, yet I like them.

If you bought this with the intent to participate in shows you might need to work on it for a few years first.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog, Greeno

• Greeno
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Greeno on topic Hello! I'm new... Need advice on a celtis bonsai

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #65165
Yes...a bit of a jump into the deep end, but I thought it would display well at my antique shows, and I have the time and means to care for it with some help.

I will reach out to some local bonsai shops, but I thought since I'm inexperienced, getting opinions via Forum might be helpful just to be sure the shop's advice is on the level.

The tree looks a bit unkept, so yes, grooming tips and any other tips would be helpful.

Finally, I'm not sure if I'll show it (nothing is off the table), but I made the decision to buy this particular tree on a gut sense, rather than the technical aspects of the tree.

So, if there is anything visible in the photos that show faults that need correcting, good qualities that need further enhancement, I would appreciate hearing your insight as an experienced bonsai caretaker.
by Greeno

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487

Replied by lucR on topic Hello! I'm new... Need advice on a celtis bonsai

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #65169
Very difficult/impossible to give good advice on the basis of a 2D picture,the tree really needs to be seen in real life by an experienced bonsai owner.
Compare it with you buying a F1 car without driving experience and asking on a forum how to drive: it will end in a crash.
Find a local bonsai club, or contact someone to do the job on commission, but please do not start doing things on your own to this tree . It’s your money, but being inexperienced can end up in a dead tree really fast.
by lucR
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greeno

• taggertbutterfield
  • Thanks received: 5

Replied by taggertbutterfield on topic Hello! I'm new... Need advice on a celtis bonsai

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #65177
Wow, this is an amazing tree. Looks like a ton of work to get it under control. Good luck!
by taggertbutterfield

• taggertbutterfield
  • Thanks received: 5

Replied by taggertbutterfield on topic Hello! I'm new... Need advice on a celtis bonsai

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #65178
It look like there is some reverse taper going on there, the arm like branch was allowed to out grow the base. I would think about ways to make that arm not look so dominant. I would be spending time looking at it, making occasional cuts, or not, while you learn on youtube or by someone locally about repotting. I would also think carefully about the pot before you decide to repot it. Be gentle with the roots and always keep them wet. There are a ton of youtube channels on bonsai care. This Bonsai Empire website also has great info.
by taggertbutterfield

• Advandn
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thanks received: 18

Replied by Advandn on topic Hello! I'm new... Need advice on a celtis bonsai

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #65187
That is one big tree. Find someone locally who can help you with your situation.
by Advandn