Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Choosing branches 9 years 1 week ago #15093

• Contrainer
  • Contrainer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 15
Oy all,

A couple of days ago I obtained some needletrees from a garden centre and when I wanted to shape one of 'em (the picea glauca conica) I found it very hard to choose the remaining branches.
Now the big question: do you guys have a special technique or something to choose what branches to keep? Now don't say eenie meenie miney moe ;).

I could, obviously, provide photographs if that helps you to answer the question.

Many thanks in forward!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Choosing branches 9 years 1 week ago #15094

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Yes.. bvy removing the branches you do not need.

Sounds like a joke, bu I am serious. I start by taking our all the branches that are unneeded: Two branches on one spot: One can go. Branches that are too thick: Gone. Etc.

After doing that you end up with less than half the original branches.

Naturally, it does require some knowledge. Experience helps a lot. I have been working with people that have done this for 15 years, and in 5 minutes they have removed 50% of the canopy.

It does depend on the species how much you can remove. I do not know picea to give you advice on that.

Choosing branches 9 years 1 week ago #15098

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72
I have two of these, bought about a year ago. Can't advise better than Leatherback on which branches to remove but I would say the best time for pruning is between now and a few weeks ago! If you prune much later the wounds will weep enthusiastically for a long time. Branches are quite flexible when it comes to wiring but the wire needs to stay on for a long time so do check that it doesn't cut into the tree as it grows. I did remove a good bit of unwanted growth on both of mine shortly after purchase without problems. They don't look fantastic but they are quite trouble-free

Dave

Choosing branches 9 years 1 week ago #15101

• Contrainer
Thanks guys! Started pruning yesterday, but stopped this afternoon because I read the best pruning time is late september and onwards. Is it now correct to conclude that both times are okay?

Dave, do you know when the last time this pruning period is that the picea can be pruned without weeping enthusiastically for a long time?
Already got a little bit of resin coming out of the wounds..

Thanks again!

Choosing branches 9 years 1 week ago #15102

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Thanks guys! Started pruning yesterday

About your first question:
Did you decide in what style you are going to shape it? I think you need to figure that out before you start pruning.

Choosing branches 9 years 1 week ago #15103

• Contrainer

Did you decide in what style you are going to shape it? I think you need to figure that out before you start pruning.

I was thinking about Walter Pall his Picea Abies, although it is a different subspecies.

i19.servimg.com/u/f19/19/18/93/72/screen10.jpg

I do not want to copy it exactly, as that is less fun, but it is a guide for me on the path of this bonsai.
Mine also has a splitted trunk, a splitted sidebranch and another sidebranch. Oh, and the trunk is less wide.
I'll upload photographs tomorrowevening as it is dark now and I will be absent from home tomorrow almost all day.

I really like your input, all, thanks!

Choosing branches 9 years 1 week ago #15107

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I was thinking about Walter Pall his Picea Abies, although it is a different subspecies.

i19.servimg.com/u/f19/19/18/93/72/screen10.jpg

I do not want to copy it exactly

Walter Pall's tree may seem easy to copy to you, but I assure you it's not that easy. I'm quite sure you won't be able to copy it.

Choosing branches 9 years 1 week ago #15110

• Contrainer

Walter Pall's tree may seem easy to copy to you, but I assure you it's not that easy. I'm quite sure you won't be able to copy it.

Haha no, I know. That guy is a friggin genius. I think the tree is a nice guideline to mine though.

Choosing branches 9 years 1 week ago #15112

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Haha no, I know. That guy is a friggin genius. I think the tree is a nice guideline to mine though.

Not just that.. But the plant you bought is probably less than 5 year old. Whereas his picea is at least ten times that eage, I would say. Knowing Walter, the tree you show there probably has a trunk as thick as a men's wrist..

Choosing branches 9 years 1 week ago #15152

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72
I mentioned the timing for pruning as a guide - basically if you cut during the dormant period (late autumn/winter months) there will be less leakage from the pruned area. My Piceas are waking up now, I have done a little tidy up on one but that's all it will get for this growing season

Dave

• Page: