Cup-O-Joe or Pondarosa Pine

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Cup-O-Joe or Pondarosa Pine was created by snuffy

Posted 12 years 4 weeks ago #4485
Yes these trees are in coffee cups. I drilled holes in the bottoms. I just got these a week ago, swipped them from a friends yard. The moss was about a foot away from the trees so I grabbed some of that too. I will be working these next year, waiting for them to establish a bit.
by snuffy

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by Pinkham on topic Re: Cup-O-Joe or Pondarosa Pine

Posted 12 years 4 weeks ago #4490
Those trees are great finds. So are the coffee cup pots. I do the same thing with interesting bowls and dishes I get at goodwill. Recycled stuff is the best.
I would rethink the moss in with the trees. They require different amounts of water to stay alive. Moss likes it damp and shaded, trees do not.
by Pinkham

Replied by snuffy on topic Re: Cup-O-Joe or Pondarosa Pine

Posted 12 years 4 weeks ago #4491
The moss was on there just to show off a bit. It's already in it's own container. The cups were chipped and my wife was going to toss them. I have a soup bowl that I did at the same time. The tray under the cups came from Goodwill, got 2 for 50 cents. They had a big ceramic serving tray that I wanted, but it was gone by the time I got the money for it.
by snuffy

Posted 12 years 4 weeks ago #4492
Oops. Yes I drill holes in them for drainage.
by snuffy

Replied by Pinkham on topic Re: Cup-O-Joe or Pondarosa Pine

Posted 12 years 4 weeks ago #4493
I have a masonry bit and a bit that drills glass.Using them, nothing is off limits.
by Pinkham

Posted 12 years 4 weeks ago #4494
I also use diamond tip dremal bits. They work great for porcelon. That's what I used on the coffee cups, cut thru them like butter.
by snuffy

Replied by Youri1995 on topic Re: Cup-O-Joe or Pondarosa Pine

Posted 12 years 4 weeks ago #4497
I like the cascade, nice material. Let it grow and fatten up more, you can do this by putting it into a big pot or full ground if you can, that will give the tree an older appearance ;)
by Youri1995

Cup-O-Joe or Pondarosa Pine - Bonsai forum

Bonsai forum

Posted 12 years 4 weeks ago #4502
Here is a young Pondarosa that I got. It's about 20x the size of the old 1 in the cup. The young ones have a smooth bark. The one inthe cup, I'm guessing by the bark is 10-15 years old.
by snuffy

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Re: Cup-O-Joe or Pondarosa Pine

Posted 12 years 4 weeks ago #4511
awsome starters, im jealous...nice shohin potential
by manofthetrees

Replied by leatherback on topic Re: Cup-O-Joe or Pondarosa Pine

Posted 12 years 4 weeks ago #4518

snuffy wrote: Here is a young Pondarosa that I got. It's about 20x the size of the old 1 in the cup. The young ones have a smooth bark. The one inthe cup, I'm guessing by the bark is 10-15 years old.

Unless your friends backyard is very dry and consists of pure rock, I would say it is very unlikely that your pine is 15 years old at 4 inches. Granted I do not know ponderosa pines, but guestimate would be less than 5 years old, otherwise conditions must have been very unfavorable
by leatherback