TOPIC:

Suggestions on New Trees 9 years 10 months ago #10845

• alainleon1983
  • alainleon1983's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185
Hi guys,

Well, these two (or perhaps I should say three) trees are my new projects. And I think I´m gonna need your advise on styling and a possible repotting.
The first one is a presumably 8 years old olive tree (Olea europaea var. sylvestris). I think the lower branch would allow me to perform a Sokan (Double Trunk) Style. The thing that really concerns me about this tree is the soil. The vendor told me that it was repotted last spring and it is completely planted in an organic mix, but I know that the mix for olive trees should be of free draining since they don´t need too much water. So, do I need to do a transplant right now or I can wait until next spring to do so?

Now, the other two trees are Acer Palmatum "Deshojo" and they are 14 years old according to the label that was attached to them. Also, the vendor said that they were repotted two years ago. My question here is similar, they are planted in an organic mix and in this case I think the mix should be a basic one, since they need to be watered more often. I want to separate them into two bigger different pots because I want them to thicken their trunks. So, should I repot them right now or I can wait a little longer? As for the style, Im not sure yet, but I think I could do a Chokkan (Formal Upright) Style.

So...what do you think?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Suggestions on New Trees 9 years 10 months ago #10852

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
i think that if the olive tree is happy, then you do not have to repot it. but, if you consider that it would be happier, then you can repot it into better soil.

jaimin
The following user(s) said Thank You: alainleon1983

Suggestions on New Trees 9 years 10 months ago #10854

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Mmm, that does not look like Desojo to me, I would say it is purpureium or similar. The leaf shape seems wrong for Desojo. You cannot repot them now, it is too late this year. They look as if they are grafted also. They need growing in the ground for a few years to get a trunk on them.

Suggestions on New Trees 9 years 10 months ago #10857

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi again Geoff...

Here I have several questions I hope you might help...

First, I wanted to repot the acer not just because I wanted to separate them, but also because the first time I watered them, a swamp emerged on top of the soil, so, even if the time has passed I believe I should perform the repotting. I mean, obviously it is not draining properly and I´m concerned they might suffer root rot.

Second... What cultivar of Acer Palmatum is the Purpureium? I´ve looked and I´ve found over 15 different cultivar but none of them with that name... The closest one was: "Dissectum Atropurpureum"... Is that the one you meant? It looks similar indeed.

And finally... Why you say they look grafted?

Thanks in advance Geoff... I know there are a lot of questions :S

Suggestions on New Trees 9 years 10 months ago #10858

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi there Jaimin,

Thank you for your quick reply. You´ll see I want to repot my olive tree because I think it´s not draining properly and I don´t want to lose my tree because of root rot. In the end, I don´t think my tree is happy at all, instead I think it´s drowning.

Alain

Suggestions on New Trees 9 years 10 months ago #10860

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
There are a lot of different varieties, it could be the one you mentioned, but my point was that it does not look like Desojo. If you look about halfway up the trunk it changes colour, also it gets much thinner there. I may be wrong you are closer to them than me, Usually when you find these they have been grafted, hopefully they are not, but they would be better seperated.
If they sol is that bad then go ahead, but try not to disturb the roots. Keep them in shade for a few weeks and never let them get dry. I have re potted an acer in August, but again it was an emergency.

Suggestions on New Trees 9 years 10 months ago #10863

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well, I´ve taken a new look on my Arce and I can´t see anywhere the grafting point. Perhaps it was grafted as you said, but right now I just can´t find it. That´s a good thing, right? The tree looks more natural and realistic for sure.

Alain

Suggestions on New Trees 9 years 10 months ago #10865

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Hi guys,

Now, the other two trees are Acer Palmatum "Deshojo" and they are 14 years old according to the label
So...what do you think?

I think that in 15 years time you could get reasonably good starting material - which this isn't.
It does not look like a 15 yo tree. 5 years, maybe.

Suggestions on New Trees 9 years 10 months ago #10866

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes, you are right... Just saw where I wrote it was "14" years old... It was a mistake. Actually it´s "4" years old what the label stated. Thanks Auk

Suggestions on New Trees 9 years 10 months ago #10867

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I am pleased they are not grafted, Most grafts are impossible to hide. Yes 4 years is nearer the age they look. I have seen lots of these groups, that one looks as if a tree has died in the middle.

• Page: