Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

blue jacaranda repotting 9 years 4 months ago #13958

• Lee Beckett
  • Lee Beckett's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 5
Hello, I repotted my 2 year old blue jacaranda about 3 months ago in spring but the roots are already sticking out the bottom of the pot already. There about 60 roots around 20mm long, do i need to rerepot again soon or should i wait until next season?
Also, the pot i put it in was 2 sizes up from its starter pot, should i have gone with a bigger pot? when i do repot, should i go with a large one!?? thanks for any advice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

blue jacaranda repotting 9 years 4 months ago #13959

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
Hi, if you using this tree for bonsai purposes than i would not advise to repot for the next three to four years. What i mea to say is plant it in the ground with well structured soil. It will grow twice as fast in the ground... But it is a tropical tree i think and so oul be in a greenhouse. Maybe just put the tree in a bigger pot with out disturbing the roots but put some gravel in the bottom of the bigger pot first and then put extra soil around to fill the bigger pot. I tried this and it worked for me as the gravel i think just alters the dirrection of root growth just that bit to stop hem from growin out of the bottom. However i do not have complete solid evidence but it did ok or me. Or without disturbing the roots or oil take off the pot and put mesh on the drainage holes and then put the tree back in its pot. I went the long way round and did the gravel thing :D . I would support the mesh idea.

Last edit: Post by bob.

blue jacaranda repotting 9 years 4 months ago #13960

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
Your plant is growing quite fast by the sound of it. I assume that you are in the southern hemisphere, so you are in summer now? If that is so, then you could drop on into a larger pot without disturbing the roots. You probably should have gone into a much bigger pot when you did it. It would help to see a picture of the plant to judge the size of it.

blue jacaranda repotting 9 years 4 months ago #13961

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I would think it would need not a larger pot. With many of my seedlings especially, their roots grow down from the base of the plant and not actually occupying the rest of the pot (about 40 percent of the space is not used and this space is from the outside of the pot inwards) aka the roots do not really sprea outwards. I do not say your advise is not usefull- it is most curtainly the opposite- but what i am saying is just merely my thoughts and experiences. A picture would be good.

Last edit: Post by bob.

blue jacaranda repotting 9 years 4 months ago #13962

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
If you had read my reply you would have seen what I meant, if the plant is growing that fast and the roots are coming out of the bottom of the pot then a bigger pot would have been better, it is still now possible to drop on to a bigger one without disturbing the roots, so that it will continue to grow.

blue jacaranda repotting 9 years 4 months ago #13965

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Geoff is right. Bob, what were you drinking ?

blue jacaranda repotting 9 years 4 months ago #13966

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Now you mention it, water. Geoff is most definitely correct but i am saying is to just put meshin the drainage holes after carefully lifting up the rootball with the soil. Because most if not all seedling just grow downwards along with the taproot and not occupy the outward soil. So i just suggest to keep it in the same pot but with the mesh to stop the roots growing out of the holes.

blue jacaranda repotting 9 years 4 months ago #13967

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
That is not the point. The point is that the tree is growing fast and filling the pot with roots. If it was in a bigger pot it could continue to grow unchecked. Mesh is to stop the soil falling through the holes or to prevent creatures crawling in not to stop roots.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bob

blue jacaranda repotting 9 years 4 months ago #13968

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Sorry about the thank you i keep on pressin it by accident. I get it. Sorry, i thought the roots did not fill the whole pot just the space from the base of the plant to the bottom of the pot but the the same width as the base-that's what happens wih my seedlings anyway. Sorry, i am all feet about head today, sorry.

blue jacaranda repotting 9 years 4 months ago #13977

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
with summer comming to its peak in falkland islands, normally i would say wait till spring however jacaranda is a tropical species which is ver strong, growing whenever water is available, right?

in order to develop a good nebari or surface roots, consider repotting in a fairly shallow container. see the thread on grow boxes. when potting gently spread the roots radially from the trunk. only trim excessive long roots leave the rest undisturbed. do not allo the roots to dry out at all !

• Page: