• Page:

TOPIC:

Peat Moss alternatives 8 years 4 months ago #18047

• brkirkland22
  • brkirkland22's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128
Peat moss is one of bonsai's primary materials for soil mixtures & rooting mediums, but there is growing concern about the sustainability of its harvest. Peat moss doesn't replenish itself as fast as it is collected, and it's importance for ecological balance have come under the microscope. Has anyone considered what alternatives may be used in the future should peat moss become a flash point of environmental concern?

"Sacrilege!" you say. Maybe, but Turface & expanded shales have only been used within the last few decades, and they are now widely used & accepted. As caretakers of a natural resource, I think we should discuss the possibility of a change. For example, when collecting trees, we consider the viability of harvesting the tree alive. As a matter of responsibility, we'd rather leave a stellar tree stuck in its rock crack than risk damaging it or the landscape for our own benefit. Should we also consider that the collection of peat moss may damage it's surrounding environment?

The number one focus of our trade is the health of the trees - it's absolutely foremost! Any alternative soil amendment would need to be beneficial, by matching or exceeding the benefits of peat moss. The only alternatives I have seen are pine bark and coconut coir, and these have their drawbacks. I came across PittMoss, which is a new paper substitute geared towards nurseries. It's not available for the general public yet, so I have not had the opportunity to try it. I have requested samples or information when it will be up for use. This will probably not be the silver bullet either, and the drawbacks cannot be found until it is used.
Here's their website for your viewing pleasure: pittmoss.com/

I think options need to be considered. Feel free to discuss, rant, or advise.

Not the only ones, but some other articles on peat moss loss:
gardenrant.com/2009/04/ken-druse-dishes-...about-peat-moss.html
www.greenlivingtips.com/articles/for-peats-sake.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Peat Moss alternatives 8 years 4 months ago #18048

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I would never use peat in bonsai substrate. It is one of the worst substrate components, not fitting a modern well-draining composition. :whistle:

Peat Moss alternatives 8 years 4 months ago #18049

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
I have never used peat in any mix I have had, or even considered it. As Leaherback says it is not free draining, there are far better ingredients.

Peat Moss alternatives 8 years 4 months ago #18050

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Peat moss is one of bonsai's primary materials for soil mixtures

Is it :huh:

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Peat Moss alternatives 8 years 4 months ago #18055

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
No, not the dusty stuff, I'm talking about larger particle size pieces sifted for water retention without affecting drainage. Sphagnum moss/peat moss I'm using interchangeably.
I know I am & always will be an amateur at bonsai, but in eight years I've heard no different from my local club members, the books I've read, presentations I've seen, and my own usage. All have utilized spaghnum moss in some form or fashion.
This opens up the question, then: what are you using for the organic components of your soil mixtures (this is probable old hat by this point, and found further in the forum)? Are you using any organics at all?
...Now I really am feeling amateurish.

Peat Moss alternatives 8 years 4 months ago #18056

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
Sphagnum moss is not peat moss

Peat Moss alternatives 8 years 4 months ago #18057

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I know I am & always will be an amateur at bonsai, but in eight years I've heard no different from my local club members, the books I've read, presentations I've seen, and my own usage. All have utilized spaghnum moss in some form or fashion.

"Peat moss is sometimes called sphagnum peat moss because much of the dead material in a peat bog comes from sphagnum moss that grew on top of the bog. Don’t confuse sphagnum peat moss with sphagnum moss, which is made up of long, fibrous strands of plant material"

I have used sphagnum moss for air layering. Now, considering there are only a small number of people that own bonsai, of which only a small amount are serious bonsai growers, of which only a few use sphagnum moss occasionally (except that lunatic on Youtube who creates "bonsai" from anything including coconuts and who grows them in sphagnum...), I doubt the impact will be substantial.

Peat Moss alternatives 8 years 4 months ago #18059

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I use ground pine bark, 2-10mm or something, as organics. For layering I use spaghnum. bought .5kg 3 year ago, and am halfway through that batch...

Peat Moss alternatives 8 years 4 months ago #18068

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Sifted pine bark is my primary organic as well by a factor of 3:1 to spaghnum. Does well. And it is true that I've still got the same bag I've had for years. Spaghnum isn't going away anytime soon, but it was an interesting thought to have had.
It certainly showed me more of what's outside of my circle of bonsai friends, too. Glad I joined & can ask about these things, and I'm thankful you all took the time to discuss.
Much Appreciated!

Peat Moss alternatives 8 years 4 months ago #18072

• FrisseForgeswithFire
  • Thanks received: 2
What a great topic with great information! I was thinking this morning "I'll ask the folks on BE their opinion on mosses" and whaddya know! Here's a post on mosses.

Do most of you guys do air layering for starting moss? I read the section on here and a few other places about using bricks and such, and I also read about the harvest technique where you harvest some locally, remove the soil from the bottom as much as possible, and apply it to the bonsai soil making sure you press it into the soil. I didn't want to order some, so I tried this technique. Hopefully they take. I grabbed different textures and stuff. Have you guys tried this before?

• Page: