Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Buying a new tree 7 years 9 months ago #23027

• AlienPotter
  • AlienPotter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi. Thanks for reading my post. I have a question that I really don't understand and would love some feed back on. I'm going to buy new trees this week for my self on my birthday :woohoo: the problem that I have is about repotting from the start. I have all the gear I need to get started and I have done the reading I feel necessary to start cultivating bonsai. I just don't understand the organic soil problem. People are saying keeping organic soil is a big no no and I get that vary much, I had a tree as a kid and it died because of it but I didn't know why then, but if it is such a huge no no why not toss it out right off. I don't want to trim any roots as long as its not root bound! I really just don't understand organic soil and I want to make it simple for my self with a better substrate. Do I really need to wait till next spring? I have heard that its fine to do it right away and i have heard wait. What do you think? I'm starting off with Chinese Elm and Carmona microphylla both indoor trees. Also I'm buying them online from a grower, I would go see for my self what they are in but its 4 hours away, but even if they come just fine the soil cost is not an problem if bought prier and I would really just like to understand this better. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Buying a new tree 7 years 9 months ago #23034

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101
Generally, people have mixed views on whether 'soil' should be inorganic, organic, or a mix of the two. As long as you use a soil mix that can retain water, drain freely, has sharp edges and aerates well you should be fine.
I think you may have slightly confused organic soil with field soil (the soil that mallsai come in) as people say to immediately remove the clay-rich field soil from the roots of the tree because it doesn't have any of the above properties.
I wouldn't buy plants from online ;)

Ed

Buying a new tree 7 years 9 months ago #23040

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
The reason for not repotting straight away is because you need to let the plant settle down, and you need to get used to how to care for this plant. On top of this, you need to make sure the plant is healthy before doing any rootwork. Finally, repotting needs to be done at the right time of year, for the right reason. Now, if you are an experienced grower, you can take one look at a plant and get a good idea of how well the plant is doing, and whether the plant can handle the repotting.

you say you do not want to trim roots. But, once you start working on getting the old soil out of the rootball, you are going to do lots of damage. So it would be best to only do this on an very healthy plant.

Organics are not bad. It is just harder to control the nutrient fluxes & moisture status. Which is why many people move away from an organic/humus based substrate to a coarse in-organic substrate. However, pretty much all plants can grow in normal soil-like substrates. It just requires better attention of the grower.

that can retain water, drain freely, has sharp edges and aerates well you should be fine.

What do you mean with sharp edges? And why? Never ever heard this before, and cannot see the biological reasons?
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlienPotter

Buying a new tree 7 years 9 months ago #23043

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101

that can retain water, drain freely, has sharp edges and aerates well you should be fine.

What do you mean with sharp edges? And why? Never ever heard this before, and cannot see the biological reasons?

It's something I heard once, it's supposed to split the growing roots. It may be complete hokum but I guess it stuck in my head.

Ed

Buying a new tree 7 years 9 months ago #23044

• AlienPotter
Thanks for the feed back, I understand what your saying about the soil but what I should have added was that its the fully organic soil is what I understand is bad. I will be lining by pots with Crushed pumice 1-5mm and useing a blend of 50% Akadama 1-5 mm, 50%, Kiryu (Vitamin-Soil). From what I see from you tubers in my area its seems to work for them. I live in Germany and I watch Ma-Ki bonsai. Now it seems like a new problem has popped up. What is the problem you see in mail ordering your plants? I don't really think that coming overnight in a box is going to be so much worse than the plant taking the drive 4 hours in my car. Is there some sort of history of this being bad that I don't know about? Please Let me know. Thanks! B)

Buying a new tree 7 years 9 months ago #23045

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I have seen this before. The idea behind it is that, when the tip of a root encounters the sharp edge, it will split, thus creating finer roots.
This is a myth that has been busted.

Buying a new tree 7 years 9 months ago #23046

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

This is a myth

Colin Lewis, source:
www.colinlewisbonsai.com/Reading/soils2.html

"Shape
Here many myths abound…. Some would have you believe that sharp-edged grit is best because when a root hits the sharp edge it it forced to split in two. Preposterous! For one thing that is not what causes root division, for another, the chance of a root tip colliding precisely head-on with the edge of a grain of grit are millions to one. "

Buying a new tree 7 years 9 months ago #23047

• AlienPotter
Thanks for the feed back. I get what your saying but this is what everyone is saying. Please watch this clip from Walter Pall from Bonsai Empires youtube channel and tell me what you think.
:huh: Is there some thing i don't get here? He is talking to a noob just like me. I want to trust him he lives right here in Germany with me and near me as well. He is just the only one i have seen saying to do this and that its safe. :unsure:

Last edit: Post by AlienPotter.

Buying a new tree 7 years 9 months ago #23048

• Bunsen33
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 43

What is the problem you see in mail ordering your plants?

Most people are reluctant to purchase plants over the internet because there is really no knowing what you will receive. I'm sure it will probably be the species you ordered; but health, size, structure, presence of pests, etc are all a gamble. But maybe if the price is right it's worth it. Maybe you end up with this ugly tree you hate.
Overnight shipping costs less than the gas/petrol to drive there?

Buying a new tree 7 years 9 months ago #23049

• AlienPotter
What Im talking about is at 4:20 BTW

• Page: