Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Compact soil not draining! 7 years 7 months ago #24884

• Keefer
  • Keefer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I believe I watered my pro nana correctly, but I didn't account for the weather here. It's been gloomy and humid recently and unfortunately there hasn't been much sun. I'm new to bonsai and I'm afraid for my tree!

I poked some holes to the bottom of the pot and replaced the top layer of soil. Then out of pure concern and helplessness, I brought it inside and put it under a lamp as a way of drying the soil so that it's not so soggy. Advice?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Compact soil not draining! 7 years 7 months ago #24885

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
Put it outside and don't worry about it. Rain is normal. If it that bad then tilt the pot slightly to allow water to drain, and then learn how to water.

Compact soil not draining! 7 years 7 months ago #24888

• Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 927
Leave it outside and don´t worry :)
Although junipers don´t like soggy substrate, it can handle it for a few days.
Or you can put it under some shelter outside.

Compact soil not draining! 7 years 7 months ago #24897

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I poked some holes to the bottom of the pot and replaced the top layer of soil. Then out of pure concern and helplessness, I brought it inside and put it under a lamp as a way of drying the soil so that it's not so soggy. Advice?

Replacing the top layer was not a good idea, I think. Now the top soil won't be soggy, I guess, but you can't see if the soil under it is soggy now.
Bringing it inside and putting it under a lamp wasn't a great idea either, probably. It's a plant, not a pet. Plants don't like to be moved, or being brought to a different climate.

Compact soil not draining! 7 years 7 months ago #24906

• Keefer
Okay I placed it back outside out of the rain. But now I have a question.

I posted earlier this week in the help category about some foliage tips browning, thinking it was mites - now I'm pretty sure it's the overwatering. So where does that leave me? is it going to get better, get worse or die? Should I still let it sit outside or is there something to be done?

Compact soil not draining! 7 years 7 months ago #24910

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Should I still let it sit outside

Juniper. OUTside.

Leave it alone, give it proper care and don't mess with it. Be patient. And post a picture.

Oh, you did. If you think there's something wrong with it, post a better picture.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Compact soil not draining! 7 years 7 months ago #24951

• Keefer
better pictures for you Auk. What do you think, anything to worry about?

You know how people say that when you look up at a star, what you're seeing is the light still traveling to earth and that the star you're looking at is actually dead? That's what my anxiety is about this tree. I see those tips turn color and I think the tree is dead, it's just going to spend the energy stored in the foliage on its way out.

This message has attachments images.

Compact soil not draining! 7 years 7 months ago #24953

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

What do you think, anything to worry about?

Doesn't look like it's going to die soon. The brown needles along the branches are normal. Brown tips are not OK, but there are only a few. One of the snall branches (the one at the bottom) is dead. It will fall off eventuall, maybe it will already fall off if you carefully move it. Don't pull it off though, cutting it off would be OK. If you don't know which branch I mean let me know and I'll edit the picture.

I see those tips turn color and I think the tree is dead, it's just going to spend the energy stored in the foliage on its way out.

Some of the young tips do seem to be a bit too light. However, they're not dead. They may shrivel up and turn brown. That's still not a big issue as long as the rest stays green. The branches are not dead, there's a clear difference between the dead branch at the bottom - that is still green, but dead, and the rest of the tree.

It's not in immediate danger but do take proper care for it, water properly, not too wet, make sure it gets enough light.

Compact soil not draining! 7 years 7 months ago #24954

• Keefer
Thanks Auk, and I do know which branch you mean - that one had been buried in the soil when I got it...

Wonderful reassurance - thanks!

Compact soil not draining! 7 years 7 months ago #25471

• Gekkie
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 14
If you are concerned about soggy soil I would recommend that when you repot your tree to use a bonsai soil mix combination of fine pine bark, dolomite crush and proffesional perlite. Benefits are: free draining mix, correct pH, dolomite crush creates fine root growth and it can be used on all trees. I use this type of bonsai soil and it works great.

This is how it looks like

This image is hidden for guests.

• Page: