Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bonsai possibilities? 6 years 2 months ago #37443

• giyeon
  • giyeon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I'm trying to learn a bit more about what is possible in terms of bonsai shaping. I am trying to determine if a bonsai can be made into a specific shape, like to match a design I might have. I am not a grower, nor do I honestly know much about the art, but I am trying to learn more to find out if it is possible to create what I am looking for. I know it's not much, but I have a sketch of what my friend would like and we were thinking in our naivitee that perhaps this could be done? Wherein the checks and curls are leaves and the lines branches/trunk? I would love some expert advice on how this works, who one can contact for unique work like this, and really any insights at all. Thanks all!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bonsai possibilities? 6 years 2 months ago #37446

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
I do not know what your idea of bonsai is, but your design has got nothing to do with it. I think you are on the wrong forum.

Bonsai possibilities? 6 years 2 months ago #37447

• giyeon
I am well aware of what bonsai is, what I am not aware of is what kinds of things can be done in terms of shaping. I have seen a few quite interesting trees with creative shaping, but I have a client looking for a very specific shape. I am only wondering if it is something that is possible. I certainly do not mean to offend anyone and greatly respect the impressive art that is bonsai growing.

Bonsai possibilities? 6 years 2 months ago #37450

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
To me it is completely unclear what you are trying to do there.

With bonsai you normaly let the tree tell you which direction to go. Growing something in s apecific shape may well be possible, but I do not know many bonsai artists how do that.

I am a little surpirsed that this is work for a client. If you do not know how to grow bonsai, why would you do this for someone else. Maybe I am misunderstanding the situation, but what you are doing is really creating a bad name for people growing bonsai.

Bonsai possibilities? 6 years 2 months ago #37454

• giyeon
I appreciate your thoughts and I understand the idea of letting the tree tell you where to go. I am a research assistant in this case and have been helping a client try to obtain something that I understand is an unusual request and appears to not be in the tradition of bonsai. I am not a grower, but I was asked to work on this in hopes of me being able to find one. I had hoped this forum would be a good place to discuss with talented growers and artists as to what may or may not be possible. I believe you have given me your opinion and I greatly appreciate that. If anyone else has the same or different opinions, I will appreciate those as well.

Additionally, I in no way intend to give any name, and certainly not a bad one, to any people, especially bonsai growers as it is a skill which I respect very much. I'm sorry that you have taken such offense from my question. To anyone else who reads this, I am only seeking to learn and hear thoughts, I do not in any way want to offend or diminish the incredible talent that is bonsai growing.

Bonsai possibilities? 6 years 2 months ago #37456

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102

I am well aware of what bonsai is, what I am not aware of is what kinds of things can be done in terms of shaping.

So basically you have no clue about bonsai
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk

Bonsai possibilities? 6 years 2 months ago #37471

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
I think your client wants some Kind of topiary or sculpture. According to your drawings, this shape is impossible to get using only bonsai techniques.
The following user(s) said Thank You: giyeon

Last edit: Post by Clicio.
  • Page: