Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

JBP, how many flushes are possible? 5 years 1 week ago #48375

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

1 time is enough. I can tell by the example of my plant :) I do not quite understand why you want to have 2 tides?

you want two flushes. The second flush is of finer twiggen with shorter needles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

JBP, how many flushes are possible? 5 years 1 week ago #48383

• NatedavB0175A1
  • NatedavB0175A1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 17

Trees are in refinement, looking to compress the branches, shorten needles, increase ramification. It's of the size, shape, taper I want.

Excellent. I'd like to see a picture.
My BP's have two flushes. I remove the first ones (leaving the ones I need). I may break candles and leave half or less, or more, depending on the requirement. They do not give me more than 2 flushes.

If unable to do so, you may remain silent.

Be nice. Thanks. Telling you want NOT to do is useful too.

This response is adequate, your prior response was unhelpful. I was not intending to be mean, just eliminating demeaning responses. There are far too many here and other forums.The response implied that the tree was not bonsai and that my goal should not be needle reduction and that it was not established. Neither are true in this case, but please dont misunderstand me I can take criticism its part of life. It's when criticism is not constructive, unnecessary, demeaning, and without much in way of offering a solution for improvement. I didn't get personal in my response, I just said that I'm looking for information and it was regarding to methodology of how to if possible obtain more than 2 flushes on JBP. Your statement that you only get 2 implies that; 1) maybe it isn't possible 2) your approach has not given you opportunity to push a 3rd 3) you like myself may not have knowledge of how to drive that mechanisms to accomplish a 3rd flush. Anyways, thank you for your contribution.

JBP, how many flushes are possible? 5 years 1 week ago #48384

• NatedavB0175A1

1 time is enough. I can tell by the example of my plant :) I do not quite understand why you want to have 2 tides?

you want two flushes. The second flush is of finer twiggen with shorter needles.

Was this an excerpt from another post?

Also, in response to ramification assisting with needle reduction. That is why I was looking to maximize opportunity to ramify some pines with 3 potential flushes. Could achieve better branch structure with finer needles and smaller twiggy terminal growth.

JBP, how many flushes are possible? 5 years 1 week ago #48385

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
[quote="NatedavB0175A1" post=48383The response implied that the tree was not bonsai[/quote]

Yes, I see your point. Thing is that in the majority of cases, people asking these questions are far too soon and impatient, and think they need to prune, wire, repot, feed, shelter, move, protect and cuddle their... far too underdeveloped plant. It kills the trees.
Would not have happened if you had included a picture though ;-)

So yep, my answer was based on that experience and in this case wrong, for which I apologize.

As far as I know, the flush is based on the season. It's how BP's work. I've never seen more than 2 flushes and never heard from others they had them. Does not mean it's impossible; as you said, it may simple be a lack in my knowledge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NatedavB0175A1

Last edit: Post by Auk.

JBP, how many flushes are possible? 5 years 1 week ago #48386

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
The same question by the op was asked in another forum, and one of the answers was - if the growing season is long enough, yes, it's possible but at the expense of the tree's health - which means do it at your own risk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NatedavB0175A1

JBP, how many flushes are possible? 5 years 1 week ago #48391

• NatedavB0175A1
@Clicio @Auk So maybe possible but maybe not whats best. I'll just hold off the pruning and do it in August. I may cease fertilization after the next application in May with a light does of 5-4-6 organic pellets. Hopefully, with the late prune and even less fertilizer it will start to reign in. It's been stubborn in terms of refinement. It otherwise has given me all the growth I've wanted for last 4 years, and when it came into my possession was already 6-8 years old.

Texas has a long growing season can february/march- october/November dependent on species and when the cold sets in. A few of my pines spring flush has already elongated and needles set. Dark green and attached. May watch and see if it flushes again or not and prior to the late summer or fall. I may try on another piece of material as an experiment.
If and when I can get this tree reigned in, I'll post a picture.

Thanks for everyones input. Discussions are helpful. @Auk no hard feelings, thanks for sharing your insight.

JBP, how many flushes are possible? 5 years 1 week ago #48395

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Was this an excerpt from another post?

Also, in response to ramification assisting with needle reduction. That is why I was looking to maximize opportunity to ramify some pines with 3 potential flushes. Could achieve better branch structure with finer needles and smaller twiggy terminal growth.

Looks like moderation removed the post I quoted.

JBP, how many flushes are possible? 4 years 11 months ago #48667

• NatedavB0175A1
Short update, I removed candles on another JBP in my collecting that was in similar scenario where the candle elongated and needles set. April 15th, I removed candles and at this time the tree is responding favorably. Buds are being set at all pruning sites, a photo of new buffs attached. Not best quality but it's a camera phone. I will keep an update posted regularly.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

JBP, how many flushes are possible? 4 years 11 months ago #49264

• NatedavB0175A1
Quick update, test pine is pushing its second flush and back budding profusely. Continue with regular watering and aggressive fertilization, did some strength balancing by reducing needle length and needle plucking to balance the foilage.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback, Clicio

• Page: