Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Grafting many Chinese Elms seedlings together (Siberian Elms) 4 years 10 months ago #49782

• Brent S.
  • Brent S.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
I have looked around the Web and here, and I am unable to find anything about taking a bunch of Chinese Elm seedlings, and wrapping them together to graft them into one tree. They really are Siberian Elms they are a weed tree here in Utah, everyone here calls them Chinese Elms. I have been able to do many mistakes to these trees and they bounce right back. So a person who raises bonsais told me about getting a bunch of these young trees and wrapping them all together with plastic wrap, and he said they would grow into one tree with big roots. Has anyone tried this?
I have started lots of these trees this spring in gallon pots and some Bonsai starter pots. I have 20 to 30 trees started in each pot, just waiting on them to get bigger right now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Brent S..

Grafting many Chinese Elms seedlings together (Siberian Elms) 4 years 10 months ago #49783

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I have tried it, and we even had a little competition on the DUtch bonsai Empire some 6 years ago. I have not seen a single success. I tried cherrie, fig and field maple. Fusing did occur, but very irregularly, and some stems died.

I have come to the point where I feel one gets better trees by growing out individual plants and will not attempt fusing again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Brent S.

Grafting many Chinese Elms seedlings together (Siberian Elms) 4 years 10 months ago #49785

• Brent S.
Thank you for the information. Maybe I will try some other things with them. About 4-5 years ago I grafted two Siberian Elms together and made an Ent (tree person) which I still have and is doing well, but that is a single point graft which is easy. It is good to know a bunch of trees at once doesn’t work.

Grafting many Chinese Elms seedlings together (Siberian Elms) 4 years 10 months ago #49793

• Brent S.
I found the instructions for this: www.bonsaiempire.com/blog/trunk-fusion

Grafting many Chinese Elms seedlings together (Siberian Elms) 4 years 10 months ago #49819

• Brent S.
Here is a picture of the one I grafted. I am working on the one arm it is small.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Last edit: Post by Brent S..

Grafting many Chinese Elms seedlings together (Siberian Elms) 4 years 8 months ago #51889

• Shephered
  • Thanks received: 13
Lol, it's a nice stick

Grafting many Chinese Elms seedlings together (Siberian Elms) 4 years 8 months ago #51890

• seeparks
  • Thanks received: 9

Here is a picture of the one I grafted. I am working on the one arm it is small.

That’s an awesome looking tree!

Very unique!

Grafting many Chinese Elms seedlings together (Siberian Elms) 3 years 10 months ago #60161

• Herpman
  • Thanks received: 0
I know of some trident maples seedlings that clump-grafted well. Also I have a large azalea that was created by clump grafting over 20 young trees together over 20 yrs ago. Now, it is hard to tell that they were individual trees. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of it on this computer.

• Page: