• Page:

TOPIC:

Dynamic Ficus Trunk from cuttings 11 years 6 months ago #7458

• MWid
  • MWid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Recently I came across a technique for creating taper and good root spread from ficus cuttings, the idea is to have a shohin/mame style bonsai with a wide base and amazing horizontal root spread after 3-5 years! :cheer:

1)The method involves taking relatively thick ficus cuttings and splitting them vertically in several places, you then smear the cutting in rooting hormone (powder or liquid).

2) The next step is to wedge a stick or wire between the splits to induce taper.

3) Pot up the cutting. And leave in a warm sheltered area with a few hours of indirect sun.

4) After about 3-4 months, there should be roots coming out of the bottom of the pot, now is a good time to re-pot. When you re-pot, its important to untangle all the roots and remove any that aren't growing horizontally, now is probably safe to remove the sticks used to wedge the cuttings apart. Re-pot and start fertilizing within a few weeks.

5) Next time you re-pot you will notice that the splits will have begun to heal over, and a natural looking taper will be forming.

Ok well that was the simplified version of what I read, I hope it makes sense, Im really hopping my cuttings take, I've just tried it out in 50 or so different ficus species, and still have to see if they work out, I think it may still be too cold at night here for root growth.

Here's some pictures of the process, I will keep this topic updated If any of the cuttings take. fingers crossed ;)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tkkt2403, OliverWobbe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dynamic Ficus Trunk from cuttings 11 years 6 months ago #7462

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
awsome tip, i realy dont have access to thicker cuttings to try this myself but i dont see why this wouldnt work.i try to get cuttings right from the trunk with a concave cutter it gives a nice base flare and a larger rooting area
i havent had a problem with temperature with rooting cuttings. i have done it over winter when my house isn't over 67F and they have all been ok. just give them good light and keep 'em moist they'll be fine. cant wait to see the results

Dynamic Ficus Trunk from cuttings 11 years 6 months ago #7463

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Tnx manofthetrees, using a concave cutter is a good idea, another tip ive read is to cut the cambium of the cutting at a 45 degree angle, this give a good surface area for roots, and ensures they grow laterally away from the cutting. The reason why I think cold night might be a problem is because my cuttings are outside at the moment, Im thinking of moving them inside, just gona get in a bit of trouble for making a mess.

Dynamic Ficus Trunk from cuttings 11 years 6 months ago #7467

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
yes i do trim the edges of my cuttings slightly into the heartwood to make a larger area of cambium exposed.as for the outdoors thing i leave mine indoors for the first year,but my larger ones i move back and forth till the daytime temps drop below 60F
i also have the pots in a tray of water and water the tray. this seems to force the roots to grow down faster and doesnt disturb the cuttings

Dynamic Ficus Trunk from cuttings 11 years 6 months ago #7470

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Woah indoors for an entire year, I would run out of space. At the moment I don't even know where indoors would be a good place, most windows have either too much or too little sun, and the ones that I think are good, it just isn't suitable to put cuttings there.

Last edit: Post by MWid.

Dynamic Ficus Trunk from cuttings 11 years 6 months ago #7471

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
i have them in a southern facing window(northern hemisphere) and have a fishtank hood light (2 2 foot floresent bulbs) suspended above...
haha, i have run out of space and i really dont know were the last batch of cuttings will go once they are out of their rooting pots. i am planning to sell them or give them away witchever ,but if it happens like last years batch once they are styled i like them too much and dont want to get rid of them :S this may turn into a problem :P

Dynamic Ficus Trunk from cuttings 11 years 6 months ago #7475

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Are fluorescent bulbs expensive? Because I defiantly want to make an artificial set up some time for cuttings and seeds.

The more the merrier, keep them for a while until you know for sure which ones you can give away :)

Dynamic Ficus Trunk from cuttings 11 years 6 months ago #7484

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
nope regular florecent tubes and the cfl bulbs are cheap and they work fine.
i have lights that were geared for a saltwater aquarium for now they have a pinkish hue to them. they also have full spectrum lights that would be even better (which is what im getting when these blow) each cost slightly more

Dynamic Ficus Trunk from cuttings 11 years 6 months ago #7488

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Tnx, good to know. Something interesting to try out when I have time on my hands

Dynamic Ficus Trunk from cuttings 11 years 2 months ago #8053

• Vnolan
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 17
How are these cuttings doing?

• Page: