Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Southern Live Oak questions 12 years 8 months ago #427

• Chadwick
  • Chadwick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I am in Florida and I have a thousand live oaks all around me. I love the tree and the form it gets in nature, I am a carpenter and that adds to my love for trees.

I have a few Live Oaks that have been topped by the electricity maintenance guys and one has quite a good looking trunk and branches...however the trunk is as large as a mans forearm and the three branches the size of a womans wrist..they are equal in their angles away from the trunk and look as if it were a 35 foot tall tree. They got cut off 8-10 inches above the trunk leaving no leaves or canopy.I can see a huge bonsai in the last 18" if I amagine a conopy on top.

Do you all think I could air layer this portion and start it as bonsai? it is quite thick...and like I said no leaves. It has great form as nature grew it, just that people whacked it off!

Thanks for your time
Chadwick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Southern Live Oak questions 12 years 8 months ago #432

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
Howdy,
you are definatly going to have to wait till there is a good amount of growth to do an air layer otherwise you will just kill the branch.the thickness of the branch shouldnt make a differance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: