Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Starting a prebonsai from nursery stock 4 years 7 months ago #52419

• Antrox
  • Antrox's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Yes, maybe 3-4 years for the oak.
I meant, do you cut back the trunk once a year or just leave it as it is for a couple of years?
I do not know how to keep it short in order to have the fist branch at the right height.

... how do you know the right height of the first branch If you don't know how tall the tree will be?

Why shouldn't I know?
I will work on a trunk cutting back to the desired tree height.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starting a prebonsai from nursery stock 4 years 7 months ago #52421

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Did they arrive in these pots? It almost looks like you repotted them now.

I would have waited to ensure you know how to care for them, before doing anything to them. Meanwhile you could have spend some time reading on what is in volved in developping these into trees. There are many websites with good information about bonsai growing. And growing from seed to bonsai is a 20 year process that is not captured in a few lines on a forum, I am afraid.

Main gal is to get them to winter and make a plan deciding how big a tree you aim for: www.growingbonsai.net/how-big-should-my-bonsai-be/

Starting a prebonsai from nursery stock 4 years 7 months ago #52422

• Antrox
  • Antrox's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Did they arrive in these pots? It almost looks like you repotted them now.
/

Yes, they arrived in plugs, not bare roots. I created a soil mix as described earlier and potted in two different pot sizes. I did not remove the original soil of the root plug.
My first goal is to keep them alive. Therefore, I am waiting a week to see if they are set in the new soil and location.

I would have waited to ensure you know how to care for them, before doing anything to them. Meanwhile you could have spend some time reading on what is in volved in developping these into trees. There are many websites with good information about bonsai growing. And growing from seed to bonsai is a 20 year process that is not captured in a few lines on a forum, I am afraid.

It is even more than a 20 years process but also a "false myth". I mean, you have to start taking actions from day 0. At the beginning, maybe there is not so much to do, But in 4-5 years, it can become a bonsai. To get there, you have to work on the roots and truck for its developing and shape (wiring?).

Main gal is to get them to winter and make a plan deciding how big a tree you aim for: www.growingbonsai.net/how-big-should-my-bonsai-be/

yes, you're right. I will not do anything until early spring. After that, I think a cut back is required.

Starting a prebonsai from nursery stock 4 years 7 months ago #52428

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

It is even more than a 20 years process but also a "false myth". I mean, you have to start taking actions from day 0. At the beginning, maybe there is not so much to do, But in 4-5 years, it can become a bonsai.

I think you are mistaken in your 5 years.

• Page: