• Page:

TOPIC:

winter prep ideas 7 years 7 months ago #24973

• simplysaid
  • simplysaid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 54
I was wondering if everyone and anyone can give advice on winter storage for trees under 10 years old. It was suggested that I plant the trees (while still in their pots) in the ground.
Any opinions on that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

winter prep ideas 7 years 7 months ago #24975

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
My trees stay where they are all year. No need to move them or do anything. Certainly would not bury them in the ground.

winter prep ideas 7 years 7 months ago #24976

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

My trees stay where they are all year. No need to move them or do anything. Certainly would not bury them in the ground.

This depends where you live.... Where I am it is normal to have temperatures well below -10C all winter, and it can reach -30. I still have to build my cold frame. Burying them in the ground adds insulation to the roots, protecting them from frost (which is what kills them), I don't see a problem in doing this. I think you'll still need to water the tree though.

Last edit: Post by eangola.

winter prep ideas 7 years 7 months ago #24980

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
What to do really depends on your climate. How cold does it get, will there be snow, are the trees exposed to sun and wind etc. And of course, a pine is a different beast then a maple.
If you do not get severe frost )So temps not dropping to below -5c) you can just leave pretty much all plants outside. I normally place the trees together in a corner out of the sun and wind and leave them there. Except for evergreens, which stay in the sun unless we have a long term frost.

If temps are expected to drop below this -5, I move them into a verntilated shed (I have the luxury of having a shed with a semi-detached roof, which will protect against spikes in temp, but otherwise adjusts to outside temperature.
The following user(s) said Thank You: simplysaid

• Page: