• Page:

TOPIC:

Cuttings from sumac and dwarf Korean lilac 7 years 6 months ago #25807

• Ruth
  • Ruth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 24
Good evening friends, I am experimenting with taking cuttings and trying different methods of developing roots. I've gathered some sumac from the woods. It is the sumac that grows along a heavy root from a parent plant. One pot I just planted the section of plant and root I removed and the other plant I tried some rooting hormone.
I also took cuttings from my Korean dwarf lilacs. One pot I took branches with rooting hormone and placed in a pot, with dirt of course. The lilac puts out new shoots under ground and they appear all around the main tree. I collectwd some of these with roots attached and planted.
We are still having warm weather here in Michigan and new shoots are growing on my bushes. I'm hoping they may still root even though it is getting late in the year.
i also took some cuttings from my scheffelara and just stuck them in water. The first one I did four weeks ago and is just starting to grow roots. Would rooting hormone speed this process for future cuttings up?
If I should cut down either the lilac or sumac more to give it a better chance of surviving, please advise.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cuttings from sumac and dwarf Korean lilac 7 years 6 months ago #25887

• Harry
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2
Hi,

About rooting hormone powder, some people find it helpful others don't. I have found that it does not speed up the rooting process but does help but we are talking slightly. I find that anything that is fast growing can root in water and anything that is not fast growing is tougher to root and needs to be rooted in soil or pumice.
Not too sure about the other part of your question. Best of luck!

Last edit: Post by Harry.

Cuttings from sumac and dwarf Korean lilac 7 years 6 months ago #25889

• Ruth
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Harry, we will see what happens.

Cuttings from sumac and dwarf Korean lilac 7 years 6 months ago #26089

• rtmann
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 9
Hey Ruth,
Not sure if you have a hydroponics store around you but the hydro guys are masters at cloning plants. They even have small cloners you can buy that spray water on your root stock. Pretty cool to watch them grow as well.
Randy

Cuttings from sumac and dwarf Korean lilac 7 years 6 months ago #26094

• Ruth
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
The lilacs are looking good. The sumacs..... However I have hope for them. In this area we have them everywhere and people yank them up because they hate them so much. Very invasive. I think it's going to be a wait and see what happens next spring. I hate the soil I have them in but I'm going to leave them alone. If they are still breathing next year I'll plant them in the ground.

• Page: