Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

No branches? 7 years 6 months ago #25965

• RPBonsai
  • RPBonsai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
So I collected this maple as a seedling in April with the intention of untiring it into a bonsai. I plan to buy a bonsai in the spring to practice pruning l, wiring etc.

But my question is why no branches at all on this maple? Just a straight trunk (hard to see but it's a good two inches around already). Should I be worried? Will it survive the winter?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No branches? 7 years 6 months ago #25966

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

So I collected this maple as a seedling in April with the intention of untiring it into a bonsai. I plan to buy a bonsai in the spring to practice pruning l, wiring etc.

But my question is why no branches at all on this maple? Just a straight trunk (hard to see but it's a good two inches around already). Should I be worried? Will it survive the winter?

way too young to have any branch system.... the tree looks healthy, let it grow wild to develop a trunk, then focus on branches in 10-20years. You should plant it in the ground if possible. You will have to take care of it this winter, or it might not survive because it is a very young specimen.

You said yourself it was a seedling in April. What do you expect it to grow like a cherry tomato plant?. It is a tree, they take a very long time to develop. How much did you grow as a kid in less than a year? and humans live what, 80 years?. How long does a Maple live?

Last edit: Post by eangola.

No branches? 7 years 6 months ago #25984

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Also, it seems to me this species isn't very suitable due to it's very large leaves.

• Page: