Bonsai forum

Looking For Seeds

• Organic Chris
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Looking For Seeds was created by Organic Chris

Posted 7 years 6 months ago #27056
Hello. Name's Chris. I have recently gotten the desire to get into the art of Bonsai, after many years of admiring others' work. I started collecting seeds from my local towns of different species of pines, firs, mimosa, cedars, cypress, and a few maples. But, I am looking for some specific kinds of trees. The trees I most admire in Bonsai form are not found around here, aside from the Japanese Black Pines, and White pines, which are everywhere here on Long Island, NY. I am looking for Italian Stone Pines, Italian Cypress, Evergreen Cork Oak, European Olive, Ficus benjamina, Any type of Juniper really, but especially Japanese Junipers, Red Cedar, Dawn Redwood, and Sequoia. Now, I know most of these are not beginner Bonsai species. That is ok. I am a very quick learner, and I am an avid farmer and Gardener, and there is nothing that I can not germinate or sprout and keep alive. One of my favorite things to do is walk into stores and find trees and plants that are almost dead, buy them, and bring them back to life. I did this recently with a small juniper Bonsai I found at a local store. It was dry, and discolored, and some of the small branches had fallen off. But, after taking it home, trimming it a little bit, watering it, and adding in some bone meal powder to the substrate, the plant is now alive and well, green, and growing nicely. No more discoloration, nor dry dead branches.
Last time I posted, the first person who responded was ridiculing me, saying I would quit before I got a tree big enough to work with. This I laughed at. And, I am going to repeat this here. I know the time, energy, and care that will need to be put into this project. I have 4 Mimosa seedlings, 6 Pine seedlings, and 3 Maple seedlings growing right now. And I have over 50 more Pine seeds, that I have collected, in cold storage which will be ready in 30 days. I knew the time and patience it would take before I ever decided to want to dive into this. I will not quit, and nothing will go to waste.
So, that being said. If anyone has seeds of the above species I have listed, Especially:
1: Italian Stone Pine.
2: Italian Cypress
3: European Olive
4: Dawn Redwood
5: Japanese Juniper
6: Japanese BLUE maples.
These are my top 6 desired species of trees that I want to start building a collection of seedlings for. I have the pots (Over 600 of them), soil, peat moss and sand for stratification purposes - I've found, over much experimentation, this is the best stratification substrate you can find, and all the tools necessary for Bonsai growth. But, as stated above, the species I really want, are not here in the USA. Not naturally growing anyway. So, I am asking anyone who lives in these other countries, if you happen to see these seeds, and are able to send them, I can pay for shipping, if necessary. Please shoot me an e-mail, at TheVacircaWayOrganics@yahoo.com if you are able to help. Put Bonsai in the title, that way I know it is not spam. Thank You!
by Organic Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Drakes
  • Thanks received: 12

Replied by Drakes on topic Looking For Seeds

Posted 7 years 6 months ago #27060
Well Chris, blue maples don't exist, i don't know what plants arte sold in garden centers next to you but i think that the Olive tree is not hard to find. Also the cypress is a slow grower, you'll need decades to have a decent size plant starting from seed (i live in Tuscany). Same goes for the Pinus pinea.
by Drakes

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Looking For Seeds

Posted 7 years 6 months ago #27062

Organic Chris wrote: 6: Japanese BLUE maples.

Seed for BLUE maples is sold at sites like Alibaba and Ebay. However, as I have proven before, it is a scam. Blue maples do not exist.

See:
www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/general/8616-blue-maple
Last Edit:7 years 6 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Auk.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Looking For Seeds

Posted 7 years 6 months ago #27064

Organic Chris wrote: Last time I posted, the first person who responded was ridiculing me

Ah, I think I remember. That was that 'bonsai forest'? You were not being ridiculed, I just pointed out that you were doing it wrong.
by Auk