Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Scarification/Stratification 7 years 3 months ago #28444

• rtmitchell15
  • rtmitchell15's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi group,
I'm looking for reliable techniques for scarification and stratification. I recently performed both on 1 seed of Japanese Apricot, Black Pine, and Crab Apple. In about 2 weeks they will have been stratifying for 60 days. The directions for the Apricot recommend 60-90 days. I checked this morning on the progress and noticed the apricot looks to have rotted. It was covered in a white furry substance.

I soaked each seed in water for 24 hours, then wrapped them in a damp paper towel inside of a plastic bag in the refrigerator. Im looking for suggestions on these processes that have high success rates. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Scarification/Stratification 7 years 3 months ago #28445

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I normally just plant the seeds in early winter. By spring they will germinate. As nature intended this to work. Key is getting fresh seeds, ventilation (Did you air the baggies every few days?) and many recomment using a desinfectant on the seeds before cold treatment.
If you are bent on doing this in the fidge, consider using spaghnum moss. This naturally reduces fungus growth.

But yeah, loosing seeds to rotting is very common. It means they were kept too wet, with too little ventilation..

Scarification/Stratification 7 years 3 months ago #28456

• rtmitchell15
  • rtmitchell15's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Ah, ok thank you. I'm sure I had the paper towel too damp. Not set on that method, just unfamiliar with alternatives. I also did not air the bags.

For the apricot, do you think it's too late to try planting one in soil? I've stored all the extra seeds in the fridge. I live in Louisiana and it's already starting to warm up.

• Page: