Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Year Old Black Maples From Seed 6 years 11 months ago #32011

• Jeremy42
  • Jeremy42's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
New to bonsai, I grew two maples last spring from seed. This spring, one is about 2" tall and the other 18". All of the current leaf growth is at the top of each, with bare trunk the rest of the way to the soil. Is there a way to promote branch/leaf growth on the bare trunk so I can shorten at least the tallest tree? And, should I repot this soon or wait until next spring.

Thanks so much for the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Year Old Black Maples From Seed 6 years 11 months ago #32015

• Harry
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2
I would let it grow but I've been told that if you pinch a slight bit of growth from the top the maple will revert its energy lower down. But in all honesty I would just let it grow. I have a shishigashira and it's very tall and is growing really well. When i finally chop it down I feel there would be plenty of backbudding.
I was advised not to repot as the repotting window is over, but if you were slip potting from one small pot to another I have had success doing that during the spring.
Remember foliage taken away now will mean it has to be grown again in the future. I hope this helps you. Well done and keep up the hobby :)

Year Old Black Maples From Seed 6 years 11 months ago #32017

• Jeremy42
Thanks. That's helpful!

Year Old Black Maples From Seed 6 years 11 months ago #32018

• Billymsu77
  • Thanks received: 8
Its best to repot maples in early spring when you first see buds. No need to repot unless the soil is not draining or the roots are pot bound. otherwise, repot every 2-3 years. For the 18 incher, if you cut the apex, it will probably grow shoots lower, but there are no guarantees. when in doubt, let it grow, you can always cut later. Maples are good for beginners, they grow fairly fast. keep it outside year round, dont overwater (only water when the soil is almost dry), give it plenty of shade in the hot months and shield it from deep frost and wind in winter. good luck.

Year Old Black Maples From Seed 6 years 11 months ago #32024

• Jeremy42
Gotcha. I may cut off a little at the top and see what it does. That's very helpful. Thanks!

• Page: