Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

A failed bonsai grower 6 years 11 months ago #32046

• Mark92495
  • Mark92495's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello all,
I have tried bonsai twice in the past. the first time when my friend was growing some bonsai from seed so i thought i would have a go. I planted 20 chinese elm seeds of which 3 grew to be about 2" tall, these three then survived around another month before they stopped growing and died.
The second attempt was when my girlfriend gave me a bonsai as a gift for christmas which didn't last very long on my window sill. I know it's because i didn't water it enough, and i know i didn't water it enough because i didn't like the shape it had been grown in to before being passed on to me.
I am thinking of trying again. I want an indoor species, I am open to the use of grow lights and if i am honest quite keen on growing plants in vivariums.
Want to know if anyone could recommend a species and how/where to buy/collect trimmings or seeds or very young plants not already bent and twisted for sale on ebay.

thanks alot
mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A failed bonsai grower 6 years 11 months ago #32047

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I am thinking of trying again. I want an indoor species, I am open to the use of grow lights and if i am honest quite keen on growing plants in vivariums.

I would like to recommend you to start learning the essentials. There's a lot to find about the subject on this website.
Trees belong outdoors. Growing bonsai outdoors is easier than growing them indoors.
The bonsai growers I know don't use grow lights (you don't need them outdoors) and bonsai are not grown in vivariums.

Once you have understood the basics (top of the page, "How-To") you could try a tree that's native to your area, or that is known to do well there.
Look at the Tree Species guide (top of the page) for species that can be kept indoors.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

A failed bonsai grower 6 years 11 months ago #32049

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102
I don't understand why one would like to purchase trees, seedlings, cuttings on ebay.

A failed bonsai grower 6 years 11 months ago #32070

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113
If you live in (sub)tropics there is pretty much no sense in growing indoors. If you live in 4 season belts and colder, you could start with Ficus as best choice.

A failed bonsai grower 6 years 11 months ago #32075

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

Hello all,
I have tried bonsai twice in the past. the first time when my friend was growing some bonsai from seed so i thought i would have a go. I planted 20 chinese elm seeds of which 3 grew to be about 2" tall, these three then survived around another month before they stopped growing and died.
The second attempt was when my girlfriend gave me a bonsai as a gift for christmas which didn't last very long on my window sill. I know it's because i didn't water it enough, and i know i didn't water it enough because i didn't like the shape it had been grown in to before being passed on to me.
Want to know if anyone could recommend a species and how/where to buy/collect trimmings or seeds or very young plants not already bent and twisted for sale on ebay.

thanks alot
mark

Grow outdoors, and learn the basics. Growing indoor bonsai is a lot harder, and you often take them outside during warm months anyway. Trees belong outdoors. Why don't you try going to a nursery and getting an older plant?

• Page: