Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Introduce yourself! 4 years 3 months ago #55531

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

How would I go about doing this?

We all have our standard responses to these questions. Here is mine.

Find a local group that does bonsai and join up. YouTube is good, better than just reading, but there is nothing like talking to an experienced person, asking questions, and seeing their tool set. They have a real good idea what the local weather is and when to do things, what survives outdoor, and everything else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduce yourself! 4 years 2 weeks ago #57462

• Buhhdie
  • Thanks received: 2
Hey all, I'm Toby, I'm 29 and I live in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.
I've been a casual Bonsai fan for 12 years now after I rescued a Chinese Elm from a supermarket that I was Christmas Temping at when I was 17. The store was selling 'mass produced' Bonsai to people who had no idea how to care for them so loads of them got returned as they hadn't been watered properly and had lost all their leaves. Stacks and stacks of these pretty little trees were all going to be binned which broke my heart. I rescued one, did some research, revived it and kept it going for a good few years until I over-watered it and accidentally drowned it. More research was clearly required.
I bought another tiny Chinese Elm from my local garden centre and have raised it and its still going strong.
Currently trying to grow an Oak from a sapling (third attempt) and seems to be alright, touch wood.
I have also inherited a nearly 30 year old Sycamore (we think) from my late Grandpa and I am desperately trying my best not to kill it.

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Introduce yourself! 3 years 11 months ago #58322

• K9finatic
  • Thanks received: 1
Hi. My name is Lisa. I’m from the United States; specifically western New York. Mt son enjoys Botany as a hobby and has minutes in the subject in college. It has kind of rubbed off on me. He received a bonsai seed kit for Christmas, planted the seeds and left to go back to college for his senior year leaving me to care for it. I’ve decided to join here in an attempt to continue his endeavor.

Introduce yourself! 3 years 11 months ago #59415

• Pierre342
Hi all

My name is Pierre 33 years of age living in Wilton Salisbury England. Bonsai trees has always fascinated me, so I decided to buy myself a Bonsai Tree from our local nursey. I have only started yesterday, so any feedback and help would be appreciated.

Introduce yourself! 3 years 11 months ago #59445

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Hi. My name is Lisa. I’m from the United States; specifically western New York. Mt son enjoys Botany as a hobby and has minutes in the subject in college. It has kind of rubbed off on me. He received a bonsai seed kit for Christmas, planted the seeds and left to go back to college for his senior year leaving me to care for it. I’ve decided to join here in an attempt to continue his endeavor.

Lisa, look up the international bonsai arboretum in Rochester. Probably not too far, and in the same climate area.

Introduce yourself! 3 years 10 months ago #59574

• Nayrb267
Hello everyone!
I'm Bryan. I'm a 37 year old on active duty in the Navy, stationed in Connecticut.
I have grown small plants here and there, and have kept small flower gardens, but never anything that requires the dedication and patience of Bonsai. Recently I started the divorce process and started to lose myself a bit. Through therapy I began meditation and learned the importance of cultivating patience and mindfulness. This lead me to take an interest in anything that would help calm my mind, I write more than I ever have now, I draw, read, paint, and my daughter and I are going to learn to throw clay.
I've been putting together model cars my entire life and thoroughly enjoy the time I spend on the details. While time consuming, there is a certain "Je ne sais quoi" that the attention I give does to silence my overactive brain and my anxiety.
So...now here I am. My seeds patiently await for me to sow them, I'll be testing my patience and abilities in the most extreme way to start. I already have my small garden started with various herbs and succulents, the pots will be added to the "greenhouse" and time shall tell.

Introduce yourself! 3 years 10 months ago #59592

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Welcome Bryan.
Have fun with the little plants I would say!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nayrb267

Introduce yourself! 3 years 10 months ago #59787

• Psmmarino
Hi everyone, name is Mike Marino. I’m 27 years old and live in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I have always been into flowers, plants(such as succulents and cacti) and bonsai(just from afar). I just recently purchased a Fukien Tea Tree. I have read many times over that this is not a true bonsai but a great place to start. However, I have also read it is a type of true bonsai so I am getting conflicting information. Anyways, I repotted it in my own handmade wooden planter for the time being (not sure if wood is ok. It is cedar so it has a degree of waterproof qualities).

So anyways I am excited to learn more about this art and things to further care for my bonsai. Also I recently posted 2 other questions in a thread before I realized there is an introduction thread. So if anyone can please check out my questions to see if I am doing things right and/or wrong.

Thank you!! Have a good one.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Introduce yourself! 3 years 9 months ago #61046

• RedPanda
Hi guys,
My name is Ignas (28) im originally from Lithuania, but I currently live in London,UK. I am very new to the art of bonsai, Ive always liked plants in general, growing up in the forest region of Lithuania surrounded with many fine pines, oaks and birches, me and my family spent a lot of time within the forests, picking mushrooms and berries also collecting wood and generally cleaning out part of a forest my dad owns. Naturally I fell in love with nature, but a real obsession to horticulture started around 2 years ago and now I host quite a collection of plants within my home.
I always appreciated bonsai and it really fasinated me that you could grow a tree within a small pot and make it look like a miniature representation of a big old tree, especially some of the yamadori I've seen posted online with beautiful deadwood features.
I also paint and the natural curvey of the tree, the texture or bark, deadwood and the compositionof the tree and a pot are all fasinating to me.
Anyways this year I finally felt I should give it a try so I purchased some saplings from local nurseries here in the UK, got a few pots some soil and tools and have been honestly really loving the experience, watering, fertilizing and generally watching the trees is one of my favourite pastimes. I also delved into some obsessive reading about the subject, joined the British bonsai association and been waiting for the club's to start meeting again after this covid situation. Can't wait to meet and talk to some people that can share experience and knowledge :)
So currently all my bonsai probably do not look like much it's just a bunch of saplings ( currently 2 itoigawa junipers,a hinoki cypress, silver birch, syberian pine, European larch, Norway spruce and a juniperus squamata), I've attached some pictures below, I think I might get a bigger more developed tree later as my knowledge and confidence grows, for now I'm really enjoying seeing these babys grow.
Can't wait to talk more with you guys and generally interact with the community :)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Introduce yourself! 3 years 9 months ago #61048

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Welcome Ignas!