Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Introduce yourself! 3 years 4 months ago #63837

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
welcome!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduce yourself! 3 years 3 months ago #64034

• dryadae
  • Thanks received: 1
Thanks so much! My cuttings are sprouting like mad, so I'm off to a good start!

Introduce yourself! 3 years 2 months ago #64867

• Bella Cataline
Hello Friends!
Bella's the name and Bonsai's the game! (Man, I always wanted to say that!)
I'm front the Eastern United States, and I'm in my late teens.
I'm still new in the bonsai world, and am looking forward to learning from people around the world!
Much like the author of this post, I was always facinated with plants and soon gravitated toward bonsai. I bought my first cheap and tried to tend to it without research, and (shocker) it died.
Well I'm trying again and hoping with research and some elbow grease I can help it to thrive.
It's a pleasure to meet you all and God Bless!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Introduce yourself! 3 years 2 months ago #64868

• NickiC
Hello Fellow Bonsai friends,
Im Nicki I live in Colorado and have always had a love for plants in general, but Bonsai hold a special place in my heart as I am Japanese in Heritage. Unfortunately I am a horrible very good green thumb and will take all the tricks and hits of the trade to make sure my Bonsai's grow. My husband bought me a bonsai kit for xmas and I want to start growing however my biggest concern is its January in Colorado so its defiantly not the warmest and I'm worried about starting them now or if I should wait till spring. We keep our house 68-70 degrees F. and really only have 2 windows that face south in our home so really not much light :( Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Good luck Bonsai Friends!!

Introduce yourself! 3 years 2 months ago #64952

• kennethdb
Hello everyone,

My name is Kenneth, I'm from South Africa. I have always found bonsai very fascinating and always wanted to get into it but never actaully did. This year my wife gifted me with a bonsai and so it's officially the start of my bonsai journey.

I've joined this community as a way for me to learn and ask questions :)

I'm super excited!

Introduce yourself! 3 years 2 months ago #64955

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Heya Kenneth,

welcome to the forum. What species are you growing?
Do have a flip through the threads of bonsai dying, so you can see a few reasons why people new to the hobby sometiems sttruggle :)

J.

Introduce yourself! 3 years 2 months ago #65028

• TreeGirl
Hello Bonsai Enthusiasts:
My name is Aileen or AL for short and I live in Illinois. I recently inherited a Bonsai Tree from my boss who has horribly neglected it. I'm pretty sure it's a Ficus tree. I'm gong to call my tree Lucky! My boss put Lucky in my office a few weeks ago looking lifeless with no leaves. I began watering Lucky and to my surprise there is new stem and leaf growth at the tips of some branches which I thought were dead. Now I'm somewhat hooked on bringing this precious tree back to its original happy place. I've been reading up on how to care for Lucky but am intimidated by pruning or re-potting. Not only does Lucky look like it has outgrown its container, but has branches shooting way up and some of them look brittle. Lucky doesn't look anything like other Bonsai pictures I've been reviewing and that's probably due to it has never been pruned. What care for Lucky should I do first? I've read that I shouldn't prune or re-pot in the same year - but so much info is confusing to a beginner like me. I have attached a couple of pictures and appreciate any tips. AL.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback

Introduce yourself! 3 years 2 months ago #65051

• loudpedal
  • Thanks received: 2
Greetings all,

My name is Rick.

I live in Indianapolis, Indiana USDA zone 5B. I have been lurking around your forum for a few weeks, and I thought that I would jump in and show off my frail sophomoric knowledge about these wonderful trees. Yep, the more I learn about them the more aware I am of how little I really know.

I have been collecting trees for about 5 years now. I have not killed many, but I'm sure that I have at least angered and frightened a few. Regardless of that I look at them as family members that I love to admire, and spend time with.

So far I have grown mainly sub-tropical trees partly because my local grower, and mentor specializes in them and I have a pretty good place to keep them indoors most of the time. I have a few deciduous trees but I limit them because I don't have a good safe place to display them outdoors yet ( I am working on that now.) I also love squirrels, but their cute appearance masks their devious behavior and desire to climb, eat, and dig in the soil of my pots when I am not watching. They can't be trusted to live in harmony with the local flora.

I don't own any show quality trees but they all make me smile, and that is what counts for me.

I am interested to learn all I can about all facets of bonsai, and from what I have read so far this forum seems like a place pretty forgiving of those who ask questions about things that seem elementary to others. I bristle at the snobbery I have encountered elsewhere.

Thanks for having me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback, Clicio

Introduce yourself! 3 years 2 months ago #65052

• persimmon
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 54
Hello AL, and welcome. Water does its wonders here. Your plant indeed looks like a Ficus. Doesn't really look like a bonsai, but if you keep it alive, you may start training it as a bonsai in the years to come.
You being intimidated by pruning and repotting is the second time your plant got lucky. Don't repot or prune until you have lots of healthy growth, because repotting and pruning an already weak plant may well kill it. Of course you can just put it in a bigger pot with more soil, but don't touch the rootball...

Introduce yourself! 3 years 1 month ago #65403

• Minke
Hello! I am a 19 year old fine art student, you can call me Minke!
I have always loved bonsai but only just bought my own, a lovely little Ginseng Ficus (oh so typical, I know!). He is affectionate called Mr Kobayashi (named after Midori in Murakami’s “Norwegian Wood”)
I have just repotted him today and I’m giving him a little break before I start wiring him in Spring :)
I am really looking forward to going to get a Spruce and a funky little shrub saw at the garden centre this week and having a go at pruning and styling them for some outside bonsai :) I am most definitely a beginner but I love bonsai and I’m not afraid to experiment and give it a go - even if things go a little wrong
I’ll attach a photo of my lovely Mr Kobayashi who, to my beginner’s eye, is a very handsome lad
Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder !! ;)

This seems like such a lovely community and I hope I can get to know some of you! Take care friends and enjoy your little trees

Minke x

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.