Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

First Bonsai - Ficus Microcarpa - Less than $ 5 9 years 2 months ago #14283

• SimoneLogan
  • SimoneLogan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi everyone,

I'm Simone and I just started to explore the Bonsai world :).

I'd like to share with you some pictures of my first bonsai and have your feedback. I purchased this plant in a supermarket (don't laugh please) and it came with a very small pot. Today the pot fell and I decided to re-pot it (although i did not have another pot and I had to invent something).

Please note, I have no experience at all and just started to learn. Most of all I tried to spend as less as possible (in fact i literally spent less than € 5 :D)..so go easy on me with critics :D

Here are some details:

Plant: Ficus Microcarpa
Height: 4"
Price: € 1.99

Soil: I had a rosemary plant that died when I went on vacation so I used that soil and mixed it with
-dried leaves from other plants
-coco fiber soil

Pot: I used a plastic container that I had at home, one of those that are used to pack fruit or veggies (I know, I should change it with something adapt asap).

Moss: (here you can have a laugh) I had some moss on the balcony that fell down from the roof.

I didn't actually touched the foliage.

I think this is all. Check out the attached pictures and please do share your thoughts.

Looking forward for your feedbacks :)

Ps. I hope I didn't create the topic in wrong section of the forum.

Cheers!
Simone

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

First Bonsai - Ficus Microcarpa - Less than $ 5 9 years 2 months ago #14284

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I'd like to share with you some pictures of my first bonsai

Your first disappointment:
This is not considered a bonsai. It is a house plant that is pretending to be a bonsai.
Real bonsai have specific characteristics, like a beautifully shaped trunk, ramified branches, flared roots, and everything is in proportion, including the roots.
The effect of a fat trunk in your plant is simulated by the disproportionate roots.

I purchased this plant in a supermarket (don't laugh please)

That wouldn't make me laugh, rather cry, but at least you know that that's not really the place to buy bonsai. And it hasn't cost much.

Please note, I have no experience at all and just started to learn

First lesson learned... now that you know this is not a bonsai: many people seem to like this tree and if you do, that's fine. You'll need to care for it and keep it alive.

Next lesson... depends. Are you really interested in bonsai, and do you want to learn the art? Or do you like the tree you bought and do you want more of the same ?

Most of all I tried to spend as less as possible (in fact i literally spent less than € 5 :D)..so go easy on me with critics :D

I'm not known for being subtle where it concerns mallsai, but I'll do my best :)

Pot: I used a plastic container that I had at home, one of those that are used to pack fruit or veggies (I know, I should change it with something adapt asap).

You'll need to change that asap. But you already wrote that yourself :)
This plastic container will not drain excess water. The roots look quite wet. In the long term, this will harm your tree.

Moss: (here you can have a laugh) I had some moss on the balcony that fell down from the roof.

Not sure why I can have a laugh? I do that too.

I think this is all. Check out the attached pictures and please do share your thoughts.

Here are the care guidelines for ficus microcarpa:

www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/ficus

And here's a picture of a real Ficus Microcarpa bonsai, more beautiful samples on this page:
www.bonsaihunk.us/info/ChineseBanyan.html

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bob, SimoneLogan

Last edit: Post by Auk.

First Bonsai - Ficus Microcarpa - Less than $ 5 9 years 2 months ago #14289

• SimoneLogan
  • SimoneLogan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi Auk,

Thanks for your feedback! It's not really a disappointment, I actually knew that it's not considered a Bonsai, but I thought that it would be good to start to learn with this plant. Better than buying a "real bonsai" for a lot of money and kill it.

I just got back and I went to find a pot but i couldn't find anything however the plastic have few holes and I did put some small stones to help the drainage.

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely have a look to those links.

Cheers!
Simone :)

• Page: