• Page:

TOPIC:

li'l pines 9 years 2 months ago #14326

• bob
  • bob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
Hi there :). As previously mentioned it is very quiet and i also wish to share something very small. I collected some scots pine seeds last fall and they have grown :) !

I have photos. Any converse is fine on these. Since my garden centres are quite rubbish at variety i wanted to grow my own pines. I am going to move them out after the last frosts have gone. Just a little thing to share. And it always gets me: all great trees started like this. So i also like to think all great artists and people for that matter started like these pines. :) .

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by bob.

li'l pines 9 years 2 months ago #14328

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I have photos. Any converse is fine on these. Since my garden centres are quite rubbish at variety i wanted to grow my own pines.

I have 4 white pine seedlings and about 15 black pines, started beginning of last year so the're almost a year old now.
However, I keep them outside. Seems you have 'm inside ?

li'l pines 9 years 2 months ago #14329

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, they are inside at the moment. But ther is still a lot of frost. So my intention is to put them outside after the frosts of this year. But with your experience, ould it be ok to place them outside now? I guess they are fully hardy so...

Last edit: Post by bob.

li'l pines 9 years 2 months ago #14331

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
do NOT put them outside now. Even the most hardy species need to develop their frost resistence. It will take weeks. A year of two ago I grew a scots from seed, and it spend most of the winter indoors.

Currently, my seeds are all in boxes of sphagnum, in the fridge and/or under some bushes outside, waiting for spring and 10+C temperatures, after which I will plant them out in seedling trays. www.growingbonsai.net/germinating-treeseeds/

li'l pines 9 years 2 months ago #14332

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

But with your experience, ould it be ok to place them outside now? I guess they are fully hardy so...

I wouldn't take that risk. Your plan to move 'm outside after the last frost is fine.

Here are pics of my white and black pine seedlings. I've germinated mine inside, then potted the ones that germinated, but that too was after the last frost. They have been outside since and are doing fine.

I have built a bench with 3 layers. The seedlings are on the middle layer, covered from rain by the top layer.

Pictures:

I've tried several soil mixtures, seems some of 'm work better than others - and it would probably have been a good idea to write on each pot what the soil mixture is... but I forgot to do that so I still won't know which mixture seems to work best :)

The brown needles are normal - the trees have formed new buds so seem to be doing just fine.
There's a lot of other things growing in the pots - grass, weeds - and that will be removed during repotting.

BTW: The trunk in the back contains spores - I'm growing my own (edible) mushrooms.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

li'l pines 9 years 2 months ago #14341

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I might add some soil from an establihed pine tree as it may have mychoriza. I know that a boon mix orks well with black pines (although i have no idea what it is :D ) i'll add some lava rock and cat litter to the pine soil if i use it.

• Page: