Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Hello from Ohio 7 years 8 months ago #23460

• jimib
  • jimib's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
Hello everyone. My name is Jimmy and I'm relatively new to bonsai. I have some trees I've been working with and wanted to show them. These are all nursery stock finds I got at highly discounted prices. The san Jose junipers I got for $5.00 on clearance. I don't really have a lot of cash to put into it due to major job loss/ life change. That's reason I ended up into bonsai anyway. Any and all advice or constructive criticism is highly appreciated as well as hot sauce recipes and witty sarcasm!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello from Ohio 7 years 8 months ago #23461

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101
Hmm...

I'd suggest a combination of chili oil and Worcestershire sauce.
Make sure to shake well before use.

Honestly, these aren't half bad. you will need to research styling a bit more (maybe buy some of this website's online courses if possible). I would also suggest joining a local club.

www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/styling
www.bonsaiempire.com/locations/clubs/us#Ohio

Ed

Hello from Ohio 7 years 8 months ago #23462

• parker
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 17
What's up Ohio, welcome to the fray. Keep them alive and your off to a good start. The more videos you watch and articles you read, the more you (and your trees) will prosper. We were just talking yesterday about this bonsai master in Japan, who has killed over $1,000,000 worth of trees before he got it right.
---

"I have learned how to wait......When I was younger, I just, I couldn't wait, and so I killed alot of Bonsai" -Kobayashi

Hello from Ohio 7 years 8 months ago #23463

• parker
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Repotting and styling nursery stock juniper all in the same season = dead trees for me

Hello from Ohio 7 years 8 months ago #23469

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Repotting and styling nursery stock juniper all in the same season = dead trees for me

Then you are doing it wrong.
Welcome jim. Consider leaving more foliage on the inside of the tree. You are at risk of creating ponpontrees otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jimib

Hello from Ohio 7 years 8 months ago #23478

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

Not true at all. Nursery stock generally has developed a strong root system, they have been growing in pots and don't need to build new roots from collecting shot (like Yamadori). As long as the tree looks green, healthy, and it is putting new growth like extensions. You can re-style and re-pot no problem. However, this is not the right time of the year to re pot and aggressively re-style.

Your first tree I would let it grow and get healthier before styling. Third one looks like mallsai. your last one has the most potential, and it looks pretty healthy to me. You got a really good deal. When I say the last one has the most potential, I mean it for a beginner. I am a beginner and to my eyes, that's something I could style. Everything has potential, it depends how good you are :).

Last edit: Post by eangola.

Hello from Ohio 7 years 8 months ago #23482

• parker
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Not true at all. Nursery stock generally has developed a strong root system, they have been growing in pots and don't need to build new roots from collecting shot (like Yamadori).

Not true at all. Nursery stock at all three nursery's around me grow their trees in the ground for 10-20 years and then mechanically cut the rootball out of the ground and place them in heavy pine bark soil in nursery containers. They are not established at all. when I reveal the roots I can see fresh cuts on the larger roots that have not healed. The trees have not been grown in pots and are already in shock by the time I get them. generally they have only been in pots for a season or so at best, and the trees that show up to resupply the sold trees are even fresher out of the ground.
P.s. to Leatherback, I am pretty sure telling me that I do not know what I am doing , over and over again, is not really helpful.

Hello from Ohio 7 years 8 months ago #23483

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82
Regardless. If the tree is green, healthy, and growing extensions, it means it is doing really well, and it is well established in the pot. Re-potting and styling at the same time shouldn't be such big problem for the tree. Unless you chop too many roots, or eliminate too much of the foliage. If you go from a 5 gal nursery container to a half an inch deep bonsai pot well... you are asking for trouble. But if you remove 1/3 of the root mass, and go to 3 gal nursery container or similar, and re-style. If the tree is healthy, it should not die. I've experienced this myself when I was starting on the hobby, I took a healthy Juniper from a 5 gal pot, re-potted straight to a deepish bonsai pot, I removed a little more than 1/3 of the roots, did structural pruning, and even absurdly extensive Shari. The tree survived, not 1 branch died, and it is growing as well as Junipers I left untouched.

Of course it doesn't look good, and the shari is ugly as hell and done wrong. But with all that drastic change, and the tree recovering, tells you a healthy juniper can recover from mostly anything. My extreme case must have involved some luck as well. But getting to the point, if you only remove 1/3 of the root mass, cut the right roots, keep the roots moist at all times so they don't dry, and style the tree; doing all this at the right time of the year. It should recover no problem.

You are probably more likely to kill the juniper if you remove way too much foliage.

Last edit: Post by eangola.

Hello from Ohio 7 years 8 months ago #23484

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

P.s. to Leatherback, I am pretty sure telling me that I do not know what I am doing , over and over again, is not really helpful.

I am sorry you have that feeling. I suppose you post a lot of things that are not wokring out as expected I suppose. When you claim that things cannot be done because you seem to be killing branches and plants, that does not mean it cannot be done. It merely means that you have problems doing it. If this is a self-repeating patterns, it means you do not know what you are doing, are pushing plants too hard and/or are too rough or working trees which are not ready to be worked.
Don't shoot the messenger, but scratch your head, take a step back and try to figure out what you are doing wrong before you start give people the wrong advice.
As for being more helpfull.. Just from "repotting and styling at the same time = dead tree" one cannot deduce more than you must be doing something wrong.

Hello from Ohio 7 years 8 months ago #23487

• jimib
  • jimib's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
I am terrible about that. I'm trying to leave more closer to the trunk as you said.... I'm getting good at topiary though...lol

• Page: