Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Re: Wild Olive (Olea) yamadori pics 12 years 6 months ago #2021

• joncoh101
  • joncoh101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3
Haha thanks Leslie, i understand that bonsai needs patience, but every now and then you lose sight of the shore and start to get all impatient and stuff. I think its a normal reaction to beginners of the art. You see that tree is so damn beautiful i am so worried about it dying or something. Things that spring to mind are: Is the soil mixture appropriate; is the tree getting too much sun, too little sun, is the tree deep enough in the soil.. All of those haha because it would be such a waste for that tree to just not start growing again. I am definately not fertilising it tho because that will kill it so atm im just leaving it to chill out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Wild Olive (Olea) yamadori pics 12 years 6 months ago #2055

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
I hear what you're saying, Jon. I totally agree that it is a normal reaction in human nature to get impatient. I luv how you described it as "losing sight of the shore"...how beautiful. :)

I have only *one(1)* bonsai tree!!!...all the rest are cuttings in various stages of growing roots...sigh... :blink: Reminds me of that little saying..."God, grant me patience...and please hurry!" :lol:

Re: Wild Olive (Olea) yamadori pics 12 years 6 months ago #2061

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Well atleast you can get cuttings to root haha, mine all die, i mean after 3 months when a cutting still hasnt rooted theres a problem right? I need to get my soil mixture right. Well practise makes perfect and learning cannot take place without making mistakes. I used just potting soil, which obviously didnt drain enough

Re: Wild Olive (Olea) yamadori pics 12 years 6 months ago #2062

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

I hear what you're saying, Jon. I totally agree that it is a normal reaction in human nature to get impatient. I luv how you described it as "losing sight of the shore"...how beautiful. :)

I have only *one(1)* bonsai tree!!!...all the rest are cuttings in various stages of growing roots...sigh... :blink: Reminds me of that little saying..."God, grant me patience...and please hurry!" :lol:

I have 0 :(
But I do have some 60 start-ups in various stages of development!

Re: Wild Olive (Olea) yamadori pics 12 years 6 months ago #2066

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
The most important thing is, even if you have 1, or 50 is that you should have not too much bonsais, that the quality of care of them will be less. So if you have 5 or 10 you can spend the same care as you did when you had 5. But when you have 50 the care will turn down of each tree, and the quality of your tree too. It don't have to turn down, if you have enough time, but mostly it does.

So you can buy lots of bonsais, but keep in remind that you need to repot/prune etc. all of these trees!

Re: Wild Olive (Olea) yamadori pics 12 years 6 months ago #2067

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Youri i totally understand what you mean but i disagree, i want to get a massive collection of trees so that when i have been doing bonsai for another say 5 years i will hopefully have great trees. Bonsai is a very slow hobby that brings the most rewarding of rewards but only after a time period.

I feel rather have a whole lot of trees that you can work on little by little each day. Soon before you know each tree has grown and you havent sat like i do when i get home from school scoping the poor critters for development haha!

Re: Wild Olive (Olea) yamadori pics 12 years 6 months ago #2079

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Hey Youri,

I hear what you say. I have however come in the possesion of a whole load of 'linde' trees (See one of my first posts on the forum). These are all seedlings which I found in the garden. And saved those. I'll probably eventually keep 2 or 3. And the same for some Larix: I got 10+ trees for a silly price. So, I have them in y garden, and will let some of them fatten up. Some others I will form and perhaps toss them for sale as starter material.

For now, I think there are 15 plants I will keep for more than the next 2 years. Matter of starting with a load of material, and every once in a while giving away/selling what you do not like, and thus creating the best subset..

Just today, I have put 100 Junierus Chinesis seeds in the ground; Naturally, I will not keep more than 3 or 4. But germination is unreliable with these plants, so rather start with a large number :D

Re: Wild Olive (Olea) yamadori pics 12 years 5 months ago #2104

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Youri,

Your words hold a lot of wisdom. It is easy to say one can handle 50 "bonsai trees" however, in reality one would almost have to make it a full-time job by then. I think the distinction needs to be made between actual bonsai trees and seedlings and cuttings.

I have five different types of cuttings in various stages of root development, four pre-bonsai that need work and my one Bonsai tree..."Jamina" which all keep me busy enough.:)