• Page:

TOPIC:

How Many Is Too Many? 4 years 8 months ago #51674

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
A more serious answer to the question:

Each tree should be an individual. If you can keep 100 individuals straight and give them individual time, then you should have that many (assuming room to keep them, etc.) If 20 is you number, then that is your number.

I was given good advice - you don't need a lot of the same tree. So, I have dug up four fifteen year old azaleas and five that airlayered themselves. There is no way I need or will keep that many. I will probably keep two each, and swap the others with club members here for other trees and/or pots.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How Many Is Too Many? 4 years 8 months ago #51679

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Hm.. mine waas not serious? :)

You have a nice rough bark maple - Acer palmatum arakawa. They are not too common, so give it a nice place!
The following user(s) said Thank You: seeparks

How Many Is Too Many? 4 years 8 months ago #51681

• Bunsen33
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 43
Our solution to not having much of a yard was to have smaller trees. The number of tropicals has significantly increased since we joined the local club though. We're already brainstorming shelving and lighting solutions for the winter. We've got over 150 other succulents and tropicals (not bonsai) that come in for the winter too. I'd say that between the husband and I we have 40-50 bonsai, all relatively early in training.

How Many Is Too Many? 4 years 8 months ago #51683

• seeparks
  • seeparks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 9

You have a nice rough bark maple - Acer palmatum arakawa. They are not too common, so give it a nice place!

Thanks leatherback! I’m actually somewhat concerned with this Arakawa since some of its bark had already fallen off. I’ve created a new thread asking for opinions and advice on this issue.

Here’s a link to that thread: www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/pests-and-dis...k-bark-maple-problem

Last edit: Post by seeparks.

How Many Is Too Many? 4 years 8 months ago #51684

• seeparks
  • seeparks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 9

Our solution to not having much of a yard was to have smaller trees. The number of tropicals has significantly increased since we joined the local club though. We're already brainstorming shelving and lighting solutions for the winter. We've got over 150 other succulents and tropicals (not bonsai) that come in for the winter too. I'd say that between the husband and I we have 40-50 bonsai, all relatively early in training.

Oh wow, that’s quite a lot of plants you have. I also have to start thinking of what to do for my trees over winter as well. That’s the next challenge.

Are you adding artificial lights to keep your tropicals and succulents indoors or do you have enough natural light in the house? If so, are there any brands / models you would recommend?

Last edit: Post by seeparks.

How Many Is Too Many? 4 years 8 months ago #51691

• Bunsen33
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 43
My employer relocated me last summer, from the US East Coast to the Midwest (12h drive) and yes, we brought a good 150 plants with us. My old house was a rowhome but had great light in 2 of the bedrooms - south western exposure and no big trees nearby. We started using grow lights in other rooms because there was very little natural light and plants were getting leggy and ugly, in some cases the tops were bending over because the stalks weren't thick enough to support the weight. Most succulents turn these beautiful shades of orange, red and purple when provided enough light so we try to keep them that way. Grow lights also help keep the growth dense and even (internodal length and leaf size) throughout the seasons.
Our 'new to us' house has terrible natural light due to a bunch of 100 yr old Hackberry trees in the neighbors' yards and our own that is 2-3m from the house. None of them appear to have ever been cut back.

For grow lights we buy the screw in LED type of bulb. LEDs all last relatively the same amount of time, so we shop for the most intense and broadest spectrum for a certain cost (the husband buys them on Amazon). We've got a bunch of $5 architect desk lamps from Ikea and I think most of the timers are from Ikea too. Some of our plant nerd buddies use the type of lights in the link below. Last year the husband rigged this free standing fabric closet with 2 bulbs and rope lights (all grow lights) that stayed in the basement.

www.amazon.com/Start-Light-System-Stand-...a-275120256423&psc=1

How Many Is Too Many? 4 years 8 months ago #51717

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600

I meant more serious than my first, rather flippant remark.

How Many Is Too Many? 4 years 8 months ago #51719

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Well, I have been told by someone that 25 is the most that anyone should have to look after properly. I think I would give up if I had that few. I look at all of my trees every day, at the moment watering most days twice , they are re potted pruned and fertiliser added when required so they are not neglected. I am not sure I could manage many more, but I have friends that do. The other important thing for me at least is that I am retired so I am here all day. I am going to a sale on Sunday and taking a few to see but I am hoping to buy as well. We will see.

• Page: