Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 7 months ago #1870

• joncoh101
  • joncoh101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3
Guys i still need to build some sort of shelving for my En at home, i want to get some ideas on how your pots housed because i dont know where to start with building appropriate shelving etc. What i want to know is where are your trees situated in your garden, roughly how many hours of sun do they get a day and what is your En built out of?

My trees are sitting on an old peice of wire fence that is sitting on paint tins at the moment haha, i just dont know where to start. I was thinking of building some shelving that will be above ground level. If you guys could upload sum pics of your En's that would be great too.

I feel like it would be great for everyone to discuss how there trees are situated because trees also need homes!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 7 months ago #1879

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
My plants are housed...inside my house! :lol:
Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm an indoor bonsai grower because of being in a 3rd floor apt. with no balcony. ...sigh...

However, here is a really nice bonsai bench design. It's listed on this site under miscellaneous articles:
www.bonsaiempire.com/miscellaneous/building-bench

Or, an easier way would be to use either bricks or cement blocks as your supports with good solid boards about 3/4" to 1" thick spanning across the block supports. Depending on the length of the boards, you may have to have a block support in the middle as well as at each end. :)

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 7 months ago #1889

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
THANK YOU!!!!! :D :D awesome link!

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 7 months ago #1893

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
You're welcome, Jon. I know...I luv that bench design! :woohoo: With the second option I suggested...I've seen this done inside a home once. If done neatly it looks quite nice. Good luck with your project! :)

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 7 months ago #1896

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Hi guys,
Right now...and for the past 2 years my trees have been housed on my deck. The first year on the railing(it's flat and wide) the second year on a wooden rolling beverage cart with metal legs and wheels. This year things are a little different. I have significantly increased the number of trees. Last fall I think I had 8, this year I have 25.
my smaller trees are already taking shelter in my garage on a shelf.My bigger, more established trees are going to hang out against my fence in the back yard on wooden planks with saw horse legs.
Next year I will probably do something more permanent and house all of them in the same place.

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 7 months ago #1903

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
my trees are all over, on large rocks on tables on my rock wall on the ground ect... you can try "monkey poles" they are just 4"x4" posts set into the ground with a platform on top (i'm planing to make some next spring) cheap and simple just have to make sure the trees don't fall off

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 7 months ago #1909

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62

Last edit: Post by Pinkham.

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 7 months ago #1914

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Ok awesome guys thanks for the info, its just that my garden has just about only one place that is ok for my trees. The rest are either too windy or too much direct sun. In the back garden the sun fries the whole garden except for the area where my bushes are against the boundry walls. The trees and grass and bushes love it but the bonsais hate it. In the front its not THAT sunny but the wind pumps through. So what i have managed is around the corner from my house where it is wind sheltered, there is a little area next to my pool where it gets dapled sun from about 11 til 1 (This is winter and spring tho) so im going to wait and see what happens in summer.

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 7 months ago #1937

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
you could always build shelves with a canopy .the bonsai grower in my area has all his personal stuff that can't take full sun under a black mesh material it lets good dappled light through,ive heard ofa few other people that use it too...mabey that direct sun area can be utalized as a bonsai garden

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 7 months ago #1953

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I forgot to add that my back garden is paved at the back and it cooks there haha! Im attaching photos illustrating what i mean, makes it alot easier!

In the photo of my back garden i indicated which direction the sun is going. The sun with the combination of that white wall and the bricks is killer for the trees plus i really dont want to build my En on bricks its just not beautiful enough. Even if i added covers etc it wont look good, as you can see there are bushes next to the walls of my garden.

Im sure many of you would agree with the around the corner place. I trimmed the trees and bushes today with help from my gardener so there will be more sun exposure, im just worried it wont be enough tho. Im envisioning building shelving against that wall behind what i drew which was supposed to be how my bonsais were housed

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.