Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 6 months ago #1961

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Hey kids,
It looks like my trees have another option for the winter. I was running errands today and found this mini greenhouse. It was beside an old smashed up gas grill. Someone was throwing it away. I'm not one for digging through peoples trash and taking stuff( although I do like a good bargain). I couldn't resist this.
Now my pine, spruce and juniper all have a place to spend the winter where they will get plenty on sun and be sheltered from damaging winds.
don't be jealous :)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 6 months ago #1962

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Hey,

Nice. Just keep in mind that if you put your trees in there, they will run the risk of being overly warm and dry in winter. The plants you mention are supposed to be outdoors. i do not know how cold your winters get. But these trees will be exposed to more fluctuations as sunshine on such greenhouse will heat it up, only to cool down at night to surrounding temps again.

Also, as no breeze goes through, the air may get overly moist, resultingn in fungi. I know I do not need to mention that insects will love this as a shelter right...

So keep the thing ventilated. Don´t close it completely, and perhaps keep it out of the sunny spots..

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 6 months ago #1963

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Leatherback,
The winters here are below 0 for most of the time from November until the beginning of march (zone 4a). I wouldn't keep any of these trees inside.
The greenhouse has a 2 inch gap at the bottom so the trees will get ventilation, they just wont be exposed to the wind. If the pine is exposed to excessive wind in winter the needles turn brown because the water in the soil is frozen and it cant replace what is lost.I was concerned about where to put the evergreens because they need sun in winter, unlike my deciduous trees. This little find takes care of that.

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 6 months ago #1982

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Jon,

I think that would make a lovely spot for your Bonsai display (if where you drew in the little bench indicated in the one photo). I must commend you for wanting to display your Bonsai trees in the best possible way. Good for you! :) I also like that they will be displayed near the curved brick area where the stone bench is...it could be used as your Zen area for viewing your Bonsai, meditation and relaxation.

The gardens are beautiful with the curved lines flowing along the boundary wall. If it were my garden I'd be tempted to do the same with those sharp, 90 degree angles in the brick facing the building. What is that shrub growing in the middle of the yard in the big, green container? It doesn't have a lot of leaves yet has those beautiful, white flowers. Is that Bonsai-able? :lol: I luv the funky shapes of the trees there. The tree that is against the building wall would make an awesome wood sculpture!!! Shall I bring my carving tools? ;)

Okay...I'll stop redesigning your yard now. LOL! Thanks so much for sharing the photos of your gardens. Do you think you might be building the bench design from the link I shared? It's so classy looking, yet functional. I like that the back half of the lower shelf is shaded by the upper shelf. Augh!!!...I miss having a yard!

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 6 months ago #1983

• joncoh101
  • joncoh101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3
Hey Leslie thanks so much for the input, haha thankyou i love my garden, the shrub in the big green pot is a rose bush, to the left of it on the other side of the paving is another bed of roses with both white and red roses. They can be bonsai'd but they take absolutely ages to grow! The tree that you say would make an awesome sculpture is a Bougainvillea its the same species as the bonsai in my profile picture except when it flowers it produces purple flowers instead of white.

I totally agree with the zen area for meditation and relaxation its going to take quite alot of planning for where i am going to put shelving etc. I am probably going to take out the bushes too, the ones against the wall where i drew that bench. The link that you shared with me is absolutely amazing its just that its going to take alot of time and material haha, i will definately build something like that but i will probably modify the design. Thats the whole thing about my garden tho, its designed for bushes, trees and grass with no room for bonsai trees. All of my friends that have bonsais dont have that problem. Oh well im just going to have to plan it out because i think having a nice area for your trees is just as important as looking after them!

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 6 months ago #1991

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Lance!

I don't know how you do it but, you must have built-in radar for incredible deals! :lol: What a great find! I must agree with *leatherback* with regard to the ventilation and fluctuating temperature issue. Because heat rises, may I suggest cutting 3 or 4 good sized ventilation holes in the top peak of your mini green house to allow the heat build-up during a sunny day to escape and help moderate the inside temp. Even now, if heat is allowed to build up inside, your trees may resist hardening off properly in preparation for winter thus taking a risk in losing your trees. :dry:

If you happen to have any clear, acrylic medium handy you could rienforce the edges of the holes cut by brushing it on the outside and the inside of the holes. Otherwise a good quality, freeze-resistant glue or calking would do. ;)

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 6 months ago #1993

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Leslie,
What I think I'm going to do is keep this thing unzipped and face the opening toward my fence That way it will get plenty of air and will be protected from the harshest winter wind.
When it warms up enough I may use it to root some heel cuttings from an evergreen hedge in my front yard.
I have found some pretty good stuff..cheap. I swear I'm not a hoarder! LOL

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 6 months ago #2033

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yeah sure...you're not a hoarder...I believe you, really! ;) Is that why you don't have any room for indoor plants...huh? aka: hoarder *and* forum stalker, eh?...:whistle:

I'm just yankin' yer chain, my friend. :lol: I'm developing the habit of going out to goodwill places and yard sales looking for good deals on pots! Don'tcha just luv a bargain! :P

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 6 months ago #2044

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Leslie,
In the past few weeks I have found some HUGE deals on pots and other interesting things to plant my trees in. All that stuff will stay in the garage until I'm ready to re-pot next spring. The masonry drill bit has come in pretty handy :)
I'm still looking for something great for my hydrangea and juniper.

Re: How are your Bonsai's housed? 12 years 5 months ago #2128

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2
here's a pic of my bonsai area. I know its not much but they get sun from 8 in the morning till about 4 o clock. When summer comes along I just move the bench to the left and then they get sun till about 1 o clock. They seem to enjoy it so that makes me happy.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.