Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Re: I'm bringing bonsai to my Japanese club. 12 years 6 months ago #2059

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
well domancy is controlled by light and temperature .you may need to supplement light to keep them going and then force them into dormancy by reducing light and temp.from what i know trees need to be held at 40 degrees or lower for a period of 40 days or more. with increased light intervals and higher temps they will wake up, so technically you can make the tree think its spring in the dead of winter.:P its like playing a tree god ;). the only drawback is getting it back out of the artificial cycle next year...like leslie said no need to lecture just talk about what you know. you will know what we mean soon enough in college.i used to record my chemistry teacher cuz he would make me fall asleep on rough days :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by manofthetrees.

Re: I'm bringing bonsai to my Japanese club. 12 years 6 months ago #2261

• BassandBonsai
  • BassandBonsai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0
You guys were right!!! No lecture needed, just a running commentary on what I was doing and why. We had TWENTY-THREE KIDS SHOW!!! 23!!!!!!!!!! I'll post pictures as soon as my Japanese teacher sends them, but it was waaaaay past cool. We potted the willows in a diatomaceous earth/ decomposed pine bits/ clay/ Miracle-Gro moisture control dirt mix, and I explained all about why each part was needed. Everyone got a plastic cup and a cutting. I had a moment of indecision once we got to the part where we decided who got which tree, but my Japanese teacher came through and suggested jan-ken-pon, which turned out great! We had a few trees to spare, which works for those kids who wanted to come but couldn't. (I made a club activity people regretted to miss!!! :woohoo: ) I was even able to claim one for myself; of course I chose the thickest trunk, which no one else wanted because it hadn't grown leaves yet. (Affectionately referred to as, "The Stick.") I'll trade if someone wants me to when we start styling, though. It's not as if I can't get any more, and I discovered an old container (once used to hold makeup brushes, but the brushes were lost long ago) that would be perfect for a mame cascade-style willow. Considering all of the trees are currently in plastic cups with holes punched in the bottom, it's an improvement.

Re: I'm bringing bonsai to my Japanese club. 12 years 6 months ago #2266

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hey Hannah! Congratulations on your very successful workshop! :cheer: What a fantastic turn out! See?...I knew you would Ace it, with no lecture necessary! :P

• Page: