The forum is in read only mode.

TOPIC:

tree-fusion bonsai competition? 11 years 6 months ago #7600

• leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Bare root is, as the name suggests, with bare roots. So they ship plants with the roots in a cloth, plastic etc; Anything to keep them moist for a couple of days. Removing the soil makes transport a lot easier (And with the competition you need bare root anyway). Typically these are 103 year old plants used for larg scale planting work (Think hedgerows, municipal grounds, forests). It saves a lot on transportation cost & effort. And as you order them in winter, the successrate withplanting this material is normally similar to that of 'plants in pots'

tree-fusion bonsai competition? 11 years 6 months ago #7601

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
ok tnx I understand now :). Still dont think its going to help me, it looked a bit pricey.

tree-fusion bonsai competition? 11 years 6 months ago #7602

• leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

ok tnx I understand now :). Still dont think its going to help me, it looked a bit pricey.

Yeah. In the rules we have set a minimum of 10 plants, so that everyone can join. 10 seedlings still may be found by scavenging in gardens a little. For 50 you really would have to grow them, or buy them.

tree-fusion bonsai competition? 11 years 6 months ago #7603

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Cool, I plan on making a shohin size bonsai with this method, that way I can use 20 or so freshly sprouted seedlings :D

tree-fusion bonsai competition? 11 years 6 months ago #7612

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
here in the states you can check out you local forestery postings . like L.B. stated you can get species for your local conditions ,decidous and conifers... im hoping to get some spruce this year