Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Some of my bonsai trees 5 years 4 months ago #22326

  • Auk
  • Auk's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 6098
  • Thanks received: 1781

eangola wrote: it definitely looks more like a procumbens nana than a procumbens.


I doubt it is a procumbens, or a procumbens cultivar.

A better photo of the foliage would help though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Some of my bonsai trees 5 years 4 months ago #22328

  • Gekkie
  • Gekkie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Posts: 126
  • Thanks received: 14

Auk wrote:

eangola wrote:

Gekkie wrote:
This is a Juniper procumbens. 10 years old


I doubt this cutting is 10 years old.


I doubt it's a Procumbens.


I also doubt if this is a Procumbens because I've got a Procumbens and my first one haven't got such sticky straight leaves.

The tag with the year it was started and names is what I've posted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Gekkie.

Some of my bonsai trees 5 years 4 months ago #22330

  • eangola
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 464
  • Thanks received: 82

Gekkie wrote:

Auk wrote:

eangola wrote:

Gekkie wrote:
This is a Juniper procumbens. 10 years old


I doubt this cutting is 10 years old.


I doubt it's a Procumbens.


I also doubt if this is a Procumbens because I've got a Procumbens and my first one haven't got such sticky straight leaves.

The tag with the year it was started and names is what I've posted.


I like all of your trees by the way. But that Junipers got started 10 years ago? wow, I just can't believe that. I hope they didn't charge much for it, maybe it had the wrong tag? you might want to double check that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by eangola.

Some of my bonsai trees 5 years 4 months ago #22346

  • leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 8043
  • Thanks received: 3375

eangola wrote: it definitely looks more like a procumbens nana than a procumbens. Where are you buying your plants Gekkie?


Procumbens and procumbens nana do not produce scale type foliage, and only needles, as far as I know. The tree shown has scale type foliage on some of the older branches. As such, I would agree.. It is not a procumbens but more likely a chinensis variety.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Some of my bonsai trees 5 years 4 months ago #22380

  • eangola
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 464
  • Thanks received: 82

leatherback wrote:

eangola wrote: it definitely looks more like a procumbens nana than a procumbens. Where are you buying your plants Gekkie?


Procumbens and procumbens nana do not produce scale type foliage, and only needles, as far as I know. The tree shown has scale type foliage on some of the older branches. As such, I would agree.. It is not a procumbens but more likely a chinensis variety.


Procumbens and procumbens nana DO produce scale type foliage when stressed, and the opposite can happen for chinensis as well. But you are right, this doesn't look like a procumbens, not only the foliage but the growing pattern and color of the bark. I can show a picture of one of my procumbens growing scale type on a stressed branch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by eangola.

Some of my bonsai trees 5 years 4 months ago #22403

  • leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 8043
  • Thanks received: 3375

eangola wrote: Procumbens and procumbens nana DO produce scale type foliage when stressed, and the opposite can happen for chinensis as well.


That chinensis create needle foliage is well known; I have a backyard full of them that seem to forget they need to create scale foliage. Never knew that procumbens reverts to scale when stressed. First time I came across it. Odd behaviour!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Some of my bonsai trees 5 years 4 months ago #22428

  • Auk
  • Auk's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 6098
  • Thanks received: 1781

leatherback wrote:

eangola wrote: Procumbens and procumbens nana DO produce scale type foliage when stressed, and the opposite can happen for chinensis as well.


That chinensis create needle foliage is well known; I have a backyard full of them that seem to forget they need to create scale foliage. Never knew that procumbens reverts to scale when stressed. First time I came across it. Odd behaviour!


I'm even pretty sure that it doesn't happen. Needle foliage is juvenile foliage. Needle junipers do not produce scale foliage. Scale junipers produce needles when they are young, or under stress.

That is what I know, which doesn't mean it is right. If there are exceptions, I'd like to learn - including sources please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Some of my bonsai trees 5 years 4 months ago #22430

  • eangola
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 464
  • Thanks received: 82

Auk wrote:

leatherback wrote:

eangola wrote: Procumbens and procumbens nana DO produce scale type foliage when stressed, and the opposite can happen for chinensis as well.


That chinensis create needle foliage is well known; I have a backyard full of them that seem to forget they need to create scale foliage. Never knew that procumbens reverts to scale when stressed. First time I came across it. Odd behaviour!


I'm even pretty sure that it doesn't happen. Needle foliage is juvenile foliage. Needle junipers do not produce scale foliage. Scale junipers produce needles when they are young, or under stress.

That is what I know, which doesn't mean it is right. If there are exceptions, I'd like to learn - including sources please.


I'll post a picture of my own procumbens nana with the scale like growth. The statement comes from the following book:
www.stonelantern.com/Juniper_Bonsai_Tree...sai_care_p/b1jun.htm

They also talk about needle foliage being called juvenile foliage because of the reason you just exposed. That is why it is called juvenile foliage, because chinensis show it on their early years, but it doesn't mean it is a juvenile thing for all trees.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Some of my bonsai trees 5 years 4 months ago #22431

  • Auk
  • Auk's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 6098
  • Thanks received: 1781

eangola wrote: They also talk about needle foliage being called juvenile foliage because of the reason you just exposed. That is why it is called juvenile foliage, because chinensis show it on their early years, but it doesn't mean it is a juvenile thing for all trees.


Yep, that's what I said. Needle junipers only produce needle type or juvenile form foliage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Some of my bonsai trees 5 years 4 months ago #22432

  • eangola
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 464
  • Thanks received: 82

Auk wrote:

eangola wrote: They also talk about needle foliage being called juvenile foliage because of the reason you just exposed. That is why it is called juvenile foliage, because chinensis show it on their early years, but it doesn't mean it is a juvenile thing for all trees.


Yep, that's what I said. Needle junipers only produce needle type or juvenile form foliage.


Procumbens are needle junipers... yet they can produce scale like foliage or what is called "mature foliage"... it is on the book, and I've seen it. Here is a post where this is discussed in other forums:

www.bonsainut.com/threads/developing-com...scale-foliage.13844/

Here, people are trying to achieve scale on procumbens, which is rare. And most of the arguments are that you won't achieve a Procumbens with full scale like foliage. The book argues that when it happens, it is because the tree is stressed, so not necessarily a good thing for procumbens. I do however, have to go back and revise this chapter to make sure I am not making this up. Interesting conversation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by eangola.