Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Shape for Ficus Bonsai 6 years 3 months ago #36813

• GareonTheStargazer
  • GareonTheStargazer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all, new to the forum here. :)

I am new to bonsai growing (excuse my terminology) and I was wondering how I should shape my particular bonsai.

It's store bought from Ikea so definitely not the greatest place to buy a bonsai, but it's what I have. I just need some ideas on what I should do, and maybe some other beginner tips you could give me.

This is my second bonsai I have had, the first died from spider mites :( Live and learn I guess. Hopefully I can do something good with this guy though! :)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Shape for Ficus Bonsai 6 years 3 months ago #36816

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Hi, welcome to the empire.

Gues I am going to make you sad. You do not actually have a bonsai, bbut athing referred to as a mall sai. A plant in a pot bought from a large retailer labelled as bonsai, which in fact is nothing more than a mass-produced trimmed plant.

Bonsai is a combination of horticulture and art, aimed at growing unique miniature trees. This plant however is a set of roots with leaves grafted on top. Nothing wrong with it as a houseplant. But a bonsai it is not, and will unfortunately never be (Only in rare cases, mostly with people n the tropics, do people manage to grow this into something related to bonsai).

I would recommend treating it as a houseplant, and read a bit more on bonsai to get a better idea of what bonsai is all about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GareonTheStargazer

Shape for Ficus Bonsai 6 years 3 months ago #36817

• GareonTheStargazer
  • GareonTheStargazer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Oh, well thats a bummer. I always thought that it looked a little strange to me, I just never considered the fact that this is not a bonsai. It also hasn't grown hardly besides growing 10-15 more leaves.

If I were to go to a nursery and get a small sapling to turn into a bonsai, what species should I get? I have read that ficus plants are easier to keep than others, but I really like the shape of Junipers. Could a Juniper live outside all season?

Thank you.

Shape for Ficus Bonsai 6 years 3 months ago #36818

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

If I were to go to a nursery and get a small sapling to turn into a bonsai, what species should I get?

Don't. Bonsai are not created by keeping saplings small.
Sure you can get one, but just let it grow. Meanwhile, start studying.

Look under 'Tree species' for suitable ones.

I really like the shape of Junipers. Could a Juniper live outside all season?

Junipers MUST be outside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GareonTheStargazer

Last edit: Post by Auk.
  • Page: