Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Extremely cold winter for juniper, maple and cypre 6 years 3 months ago #36840

• daria2bee
  • daria2bee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello,

I have one juniper bonsai and 2 maple and cypres pre-bonsai that are living outside in pots. I live in Toronto, Canada.
Juniper already went through winter last year, but it was quite mild winter, only a couple of days in total of -10 degrees Celcius.

This year the temperatures are rough, it's been -13 the whole week, and today can go to -18.

I prepared my trees in advance by putting them in big boxes filled with soil and wood chips to have around 20 cm on all sides, they are protected from wind but still have some breathing room. Generally they get decent amount of light and sun when there's sun during the day.

My question is: if the temperatures stay so low or go even lower, should I do something additional to protect my trees? Will they survive in these conditions outside or should I take them inside for especially cold days?

Thank you, Daria

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by daria2bee.

Extremely cold winter for juniper, maple and cypre 6 years 3 months ago #36841

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
/if you have snow, cover them with snow. Otherwiise: Do you have an unheated garage, or other space that remains well below 10c

Extremely cold winter for juniper, maple and cypre 6 years 3 months ago #36842

• daria2bee
  • daria2bee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

/if you have snow, cover them with snow. Otherwiise: Do you have an unheated garage, or other space that remains well below 10c

There is some snow that covered the plants when it was snowing. But under the sun it tends to melt. I can grab some snow laying around on the balcony and add some more on the branches.
Unfortunately, I live in an apartment building, so I only have a balcony where I can keep the plants.

Last edit: Post by daria2bee.
  • Page: