Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Leaves changing color. Help! 6 years 3 months ago #36878

• jab3601
  • jab3601's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I just got this Chinese elm bonsai for Christmas. I am new to the hobby. But since I got it I have been watering it everyday. I have placed it near my window in my bedroom. It isn’t really cold near the window but it is winter here in Kentucky and has been really cold recently. I also recently have pruned some of them shoots back from 7 leaves to like 3 or 4. I left a little shoot after the last leaf. I have been spray the leaves when I water the bonsai also. I came home just now from work and checked the soil and it feels moist under the moss am I over watering the bonsai? Is the sun burning the leaves!? Help I need tips! It has turned this yellow in about two days!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Leaves changing color. Help! 6 years 2 months ago #36879

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
It is way too wet. Why water it everyday? Water when the soil is starting to dry out.
With all the decoration on top you cannot really see whether the plant needs water.. I would remove the stones & moss fromthe soil. Then oly water as the soil starts drying ut. Stop spraying the plant with water; It does not help.

Leaves changing color. Help! 6 years 2 months ago #36905

• jab3601
Thank you! I believe it is too wet but I probably won’t remove the rocks and moss till the plant starts doing better. I will just use a chop stick to check moisture. Any other tips?

Leaves changing color. Help! 6 years 2 months ago #36906

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Thank you! I believe it is too wet but I probably won’t remove the rocks and moss till the plant starts doing better. I will just use a chop stick to check moisture. Any other tips?

Do remove the rocks and moss - and the pebbles. They serve no purpose, make watering harder, and it will not harm the plant if you remove it. It is just decoration.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Leaves changing color. Help! 6 years 2 months ago #36915

• jab3601
Okay removed all moss and rocks. The soil is damp on top so I would probably say the soil that the plant is in isn’t fast drainage soil? Should I repot in new soil or leave? I haven’t watered it in about 2 days.

This message has attachments images.

Leaves changing color. Help! 6 years 2 months ago #36918

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Okay removed all moss and rocks. The soil is damp on top so I would probably say the soil that the plant is in isn’t fast drainage soil? Should I repot in new soil or leave? I haven’t watered it in about 2 days.

It is a common mistake that you need fast draining bonsai soil for plants like this. Fast draining soil, proper watering and fertilizing are three bonsai techniques that cannot be seen as separate. You will need to learn all these techniques.

You do need a soil that drains properly though, it must not stay waterlogged.

Your soil looks OK to me. Do not repot, it will stress the plant even more.
Give it proper care - which for now means proper watering, the right position including enough light. Don't fiddle with it. Give it time.
Do read up on the care guidelines for your species.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Leaves changing color. Help! 6 years 2 months ago #36957

• jab3601
Thank you! I have it positioned in a window seal in my room that has a air duct below it off to the side. I haven’t watered it in like 3 or 4 days and te soil is still damp. Quite a bit of leaves died and fell off but it didn’t look like any other are turning yellow. The rest are really green. I bought some bonsai fertilizer off the internet that you mix in water. Have any tips on fertilizing? I have heard you do not fertilize during winter.

This message has an attachment image.

• Page: